45srbest

Greenie
Apr 22, 2013
Scotch Plains,NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am brand new to this hobbie (have'nt even held a detector yet). Retiring this year and need to add new items that have always interested me. I am thinking about the MXT PRO because of the good things I've read about it. The quality, ease of default factory settings for a beginner, ability to learn and utilize settings other than defaults and of course the performance. Will be using in NJ for some coin hunting, and woods use with hopefully some civil war items in the future.
Thank you in advance for your help.

It's a fantastic detector. Not only is it an "okay first machine" it's one of the best detectors period and there really would be no need to upgrade!

It's not complicated so it's pretty easy to learn, gets great depth, it's wicked fast & has a good coils selection. I've used and currently own "higher end" detectors and I can't admit they were/are any better than my MXT/P.
If the MXT/P has a negative point (imo) it would be that it's a bit chatty. It's hisses and pops and generally makes a fair bit of noise and it doesn't have a volume control. Volume control headphones remedy this!

I say get it!

45srbest - you will get a bunch of recommendations from member's - you have a tough decision ahead of you. However, whatever you decide - please consider buying one from one of
tn_02.gif
's Supporting Vendors.

The MXT was my first detector bought it in 2009 and its easy to learn but you will get even better with it over time about the end of the second year and I'm getting silver dimes at 10"+ with some being 12". The coil that the MXT pro comes with I'm not a big fan of, I would see if you could get one with a 950 coil at least, you'll want a D2 coil(whites 10" DD coil) it takes the MXT to a whole new level, its wicked deep on coins and separates pretty good for a big coil. The D2 is the coil I get dimes at 10"+ and I've detected with people that have the V3i and the E-trac and can tell you the MXT with the D2 coil will get targets every bit as deep. Make sure and get a good set of headphones as those deep whisper targets are hard to hear and I try and run +2 gain for more depth as any higher gain it gets a little to noisy to hear those whisper targets. HH

The Mxt Pro is a great machine. I hunted with the eagle spectrum for years. But the Mxt pro is half the weight of the eagle. It is very light! I've hunted tot lots with the 4x6 DD coil and prospect with the 4x6. I've used the stock 300 coil at old parks and old home sites. Getting ready to go to Florida in June I will get to try out the beach and salt mode. Just like all detectors the more you use it the better you understand what it trying to tell ya. Good luck!!

I just posted on another page, but i was in your shoes 6 months ago. Did hours/days of research and finally decided on the mxt pro for many reasons.
1) backlight display is awesome. Used it to keep going last night up til 9pm.
2) it is light for me, but im a big guy and detect for a min of 2 hours and up to 5 when i can.
3) it has various modes, coin/jewelry, relics, and prospecting.
4) coil selection for expanding its abilities
5) should be the only one i need for many years

I am an amateur and i love it. You will be finding coins on day 1. I have a lot to learn on it but absolutely love it. Save yourself the headache and dont buy a cheap one, you will either hate it or quit.

Only caveat, it does seem chatty to me, but no where near as bad as my bounty hunter i first had. Headphones are prob a good suggestion.
JMB

great first detector! I started out with about the same $$$ and got the XTerra705 then bumped up to the Etrac. I just got a V3i for this year, and White's builds some awesome machines! I hunted a few times with a guy who had a MXT Pro and it was really sweet! You will like it. Whatever machine you get..... just learn it well... and you'll find the goodies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back