My Coin Roll Hunting Theory

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to me that the kennedy silver rush is dying quickly. I have only been on this forum for the last few months, so I may be wrong about this. Anyways, my theory is that there are waves of intense CRH, in which most silver is quickly stripped out of circulation. A lull follows, since people don't consider it worth the effort to hunt anymore. Cashing in of silver would still occur at a reasonably steady rate, as people die and their relatives turn it in, people get their collections stolen, etc. Eventually the stock of silver in circulation is up again, and CRH commences.

the first wave of people would've been like my dad pulling out silver in the sixties. When it stopped being so plentiful, they stopped (although that's relative, I bet their worst box would've been our best). My dad was very surprised that I still find silver in circulation. I don't know how many waves there have been, but I'm guessing with each additional "wave" the amount of silver per box is decreasing, but the price of silver keeps increasing so it's still worth it.

Things really seem to have dried up on this forum, fast, which leads me to believe the rushes don't last long and the restocking of silver may take a few years. I would love to have some input from people who have been doing this for longer! I could be wayyyy off, just my theory!

I love this hobby regardless. If there is very little silver in circulation, onto pennies!

What doesn't make sense with this theory is that there seem to be no silver quarters. I can't explain this other than to imagine there are a few quarter obsessed individuals who manage to keep it all out of circulation

Upvote 0
OP
OP
SilverForBrains

SilverForBrains

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/QUOTE]SFB, in your previous post you mentioned that your pawn shop was melting the coin, maybe I misunderstood. Once again, I'd like to see a link or hard evidence that coin is being melted, otherwise it's just hearsay.[/QUOTE]

To be specific I had been told by two separate pawn shop attendants (the only two I've ever asked) that they send off all 90% silver coins to the refinery to be melted.

As far as evidence goes, the best I can find is a great article in PCGS, renowned coin experts: AFTER THE MELTS: WHAT'S LEFT IN SILVER COINS?

Here's one example on youtube of a guy who sent off his coins to be melted:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions