What's new

My Day In The Creek From Hell

monsterrack

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 15, 2013
Messages
4,429
Reaction score
5,831
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All the other creeks still have to much water and the fields have not been plowed yet, so I hit this one creek that after taking a friend there he named it The Creek From Hell. It is tough walking, crawling, sinking, falling and is very muddy. Creek from Hell 001.webpCreek from Hell 002.webpCreek from Hell 005.webpI found a good bit of stuff of all kindsCreek from Hell 003.webpCreek from Hell 004.webpCreek from Hell 007.webpCreek from Hell 008.webpCreek from Hell 010.webpCreek from Hell 011.webpAs you can see from the photos ,you had better be looking close.Creek from Hell 013.webpA small drill I foundCreek from Hell 015.webpCreek from Hell 016.webpCreek from Hell 018.webpFound some prehistoric teeth, snail fossils and a piece of deer antler that is like rock, also found one of the coolest pieces of pottery, it has a imprint of their thumb.Creek from Hell 017.webpI also found some more potteryCreek from Hell 020.webpOne thing I never find in any of my creeks are human foot prints :laughing7:
 
Upvote 0
sounds like you are in the right place....where/how you looking?

I use a homemade bathyscope, search the gravelly areas, and shovel and screen some.
 
are you finding the sherds by screening or by eyeball....the reason I ask is we all have our techniques, usually based on our success, skills, knowledge and place (area) we hunt....field walkers hunt by site after a good rain or disking etc....creek walkers like to look (based on your type of creek) in bends and holes, or where the gravel accumulates (also after a good rain too). We got a feller here in CA that screens a site he knows of and finds stuff all the time. Others of us know of old habitation or camp sites, hunting areas etc. Me..I am strictly a eyeball guy, I spot the shape regardless of material, I never had any luck screening.

your sites, finding sherds and all, sounds like it has great potential.
 
are you finding the sherds by screening or by eyeball....the reason I ask is we all have our techniques, usually based on our success, skills, knowledge and place (area) we hunt....field walkers hunt by site after a good rain or disking etc....creek walkers like to look (based on your type of creek) in bends and holes, or where the gravel accumulates (also after a good rain too). We got a feller here in CA that screens a site he knows of and finds stuff all the time. Others of us know of old habitation or camp sites, hunting areas etc. Me..I am strictly a eyeball guy, I spot the shape regardless of material, I never had any luck screening.

your sites, finding sherds and all, sounds like it has great potential.

Thanks! Finding sherds by eyeing and screening. Always appreciate any tips. I've found around 15 points (Six whole, rest broken). All points that I've found are small making me believe the larger ones are down in the muck....... Sorry I highjacked your thread monsterrack.
 
Thanks! Finding sherds by eyeing and screening. Always appreciate any tips. I've found around 15 points (Six whole, rest broken). All points that I've found are small making me believe the larger ones are down in the muck....... Sorry I highjacked your thread monsterrack.

No problem ptsofnc we are here to learn, none of use know it all and if what I know can help you or anyone then that's great. Like Unclemac said sounds like you are in the right spot and the more you hunt it ,the more you will learn your creek. A creek is ever changing and spots that you have not found anything may one day produce your best finds.
 
and out of the blue too...from one day to the next...
 
Great native am. artifacts ! Hope ya don't mind me asking two ? 's , :o Holee smokies!
Do you have an est. of the age on the amazing thumb print pottery ? That is incredible and I never saw anything like that . Is it common to get them ?

CMDdawg
 
Great native am. artifacts ! Hope ya don't mind me asking two ? 's , :o Holee smokies!
Do you have an est. of the age on the amazing thumb print pottery ? That is incredible and I never saw anything like that . Is it common to get them ?

CMDdawg

This is the first one like this I have ever found, I don't know how rare it is, but it is rare to me.:laughing7:
 
Great finds. It looks like you are looking for shapes and not colors. The creeks I'm looking has very little sediment on the rocks in the spring so you can spot artifacts by color. In the summer months allege builds up on the rocks and turns everything greenish brown. That when it becomes difficult and you have to focus on shapes only. By the way there are always foot prints at the creeks I look. They are from hikers, fishermen, and people that canoe. Don't think any of them have a thought in their minds about artifacts.
 
I hear that, almost everything I find is right under the nose of people who don't know to look.
 
Nice stuff! I see "hell creek" has taken the lives of a few snails. I think you'll beat the odds, no need for fear! Lol
 
You can take me to that creek any day boss nice finds NOTWORTY !!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom