Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:hello:

Although I have found Gold Coins, and Gold Rings both Ancient :o this has to be without doubt the Best and proberbly the Rarest thing I have ever found :o...late Anglo-Saxon to Medieval.

Descussion Re Dating
The key is a decorated type1, type one is a pre conquest key, which continued into the Middle Ages....Archaeological dated specimans are Rare, but a number of the more elaberated specimens can proberbly assigned to the 11th or 12th Century, and it may be doubted weather in this country, at any rate, they were current much earlier.
However, generally similar keys, wich would also fall in the Type1 Classifacation, are dated between the 8th and 10th Century, and at the outher extreme, the closest parrallel traced, is dated 12-13th Century. The ptentional date range is therefore very large, at least spaning the date range 9th-12th Century.

Attachments

• BK2.jpg
    BK2.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 2,239
  • BK3.jpg
    BK3.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 2,236
  • BK2.jpg
    BK2.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 2,235
  • BK3.jpg
    BK3.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 2,232
  • key.jpg
    key.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 2,178
  • key2.jpg
    key2.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 2,165
  • key3.jpg
    key3.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 2,153
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hikeinmts said:
S. S., great find. I will ask the question....I am not shy :tongue3: What did it open? Any idea? Was it for a door, or a gate, or a chest? A beautiful artifact, 4 sure. :thumbsup:
:hello: thanks for the reply...I would say a Casket of some sort :o perhaps full of Saxon Coins :wink:

SS

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ahhhh you just need the chest it opens. You find so many great finds I can see why just a key that unlocks who knows what would be a personal best. It gives you hope. Nice one Silver Searcher.
regards
TnMountains

Evan/tn

Jul 7, 2009
Detector(s) used
spectra V3,MXT
that's probably the coolest key i have ever seen
congrats!!

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Totally agree .... This key is one of the best I know. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
CONSTANTINVS said:
:'( :'( :'( wish I'd kept it :'( :'( :'(

SS

timekiller

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2009
Morehead City / Newport NC
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silver Searcher said:
CONSTANTINVS said:

SS
Sorry Buddy,But I don't understand! Did you sell it? :-\ I've not got hardly no Money but to have things that others don't is a good feeling for me.Thats why I'm affaid to sell anything that I don't think I'll ever find again the bad feeling after the sell is what I'm affaid of.But I guess if the price is right I could be bargined with. :laughing9: I'd much rather find two of something before I go thinking about selling one.Anyway I think like this I had no money when I found it so selling it is not going to change much as money burns wholes in my pockets and someone is always there to help out with that. :laughing9: :laughing7: :hello:
Happy Holidays Over There! :hello:

OP
OP
Silver Searcher

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
timekiller said:
Silver Searcher said:
CONSTANTINVS said:

SS
Sorry Buddy,But I don't understand! Did you sell it? :-\ I've not got hardly no Money but to have things that others don't is a good feeling for me.Thats why I'm affaid to sell anything that I don't think I'll ever find again the bad feeling after the sell is what I'm affaid of.But I guess if the price is right I could be bargined with. :laughing9: I'd much rather find two of something before I go thinking about selling one.Anyway I think like this I had no money when I found it so selling it is not going to change much as money burns wholes in my pockets and someone is always there to help out with that. :laughing9: :laughing7: :hello:
Happy Holidays Over There! :hello:
I was at a low point Pete :'( and things had two go :'( there was no time for sentiments :'(

SS

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I before sell kidney or ago things indecent ;D .... and do not worry I had to sell almost all the gold jewelry found in the summer. :-\
greetings!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions