What's new

My First Older Coin Pocket Spill And I Liked It!

JimBeHuntin'

Bronze Member
Joined
Feb 1, 2007
Messages
1,154
Reaction score
4
Golden Thread
0
Location
Down East North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (As of 10/2011)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hit a new site today ... a rural lot that used to have an early 1900s house on it. My hunting buddy (L J) and I got there a little late but managed to cover about 1/2 of the yard. It was a great day for me ... I had several firsts. My first older coin pocket spill: 6 wheats (194?, 1944, 1951, 1951, 1953, 19??) and 3 nickles (1940, 1941, 1942 War) all in the same hole. The 1942 war nickle was a first find also. Thirdly, I found my first Standing Liberty Quarter (unfortunately it had been hit by a mower blade and was in terrible condition with no readable date). I also dug a 1947 nickle, 1941 Mercury dime, a couple of clad dimes, and one memorial cent. L J found a clad dime, 2 memorial cents, and a beautiful token that was about the size of a 1/2 dollar and had Heads I win and tails you lose on it. We will be hitting this place again soon!
 

Attachments

  • oldpocketspill.webp
    oldpocketspill.webp
    18.2 KB · Views: 870
  • Mar21silver1.webp
    Mar21silver1.webp
    16.4 KB · Views: 872
  • Mar21silver2.webp
    Mar21silver2.webp
    18 KB · Views: 869
  • Mar2107.webp
    Mar2107.webp
    16.8 KB · Views: 860
Upvote 0
Very nice silver!! Even if some of it is scrap.....Seems quite a few folks on the forum have dug those tokens ??? GL
 
Great day! nice to find the oldies! 8)
 
Alright, dude!
Nice job!
 
Good finds. The SLQ definitely lost the battle, but her undamaged sister might still be there waiting on you to find her.

Mike
 
Sweet finds! To bad about that standing liberty, I'd rather find it than not find it though!
 
That is one GREAT day of MDing!! WTG on the finds!!HH
 
The SLQ is a real crime...I've seen some gouged coins that people damaged while digging, but this one takes the cake! Might want to try digging with a little less enthusasim! :) Kidding...but as worn as the eagle looks, it's not likely this coin had a date before it was dropped, date first thing to go on these coins.
 
awesome finds !!!!! way to go !!!!

to bad about that quarter, it really took a hit !

WTG again!

Mark (A.K.A. ivy_walls)
 
wow you weren't kidding about the slq still a nice haul you got there congrats
 
The nickle is real BEAUTY! The SLQ looks like it was dug with a frag grenade.
Sorry I HAD TO SAY IT MAN! :P
Looks like a truly awesome day of digs.

Best o' luck next time out

~Nash~
 
Congrats on that first and that silver and wheats! 8)

Great hunt!

Nana
 
very cool finds! too bad about that SLQ but i would take it anyway! thats one of the coins on my list of ones to find still!
 
Nashoba said:
The nickle is real BEAUTY! The SLQ looks like it was dug with a frag grenade.
Sorry I HAD TO SAY IT MAN! :P
Looks like a truly awesome day of digs.

Best o' luck next time out

~Nash~
I agree that the nickle is a beaut. I could tell that it was nice when it came out of the ground looking like any other silver coin. I first cleaned it with soap & water but it was still stained so I gave it a light rub with wet baking soda and it looks like new.
 
That is one heck of a nice war nickel and one heck of an "un"nice Stander. I look at all the cull Standers I've found with respect now, Thanks.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom