My new (old) Explorer 2

orm25

Oct 29, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Vulcan 360 Pinpointer, Geotech Barracuda Pi, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer 2, bounty hunter pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi!

I recently sold my at pro for an Explorer 2.
I managed to pick it up for the equivalent of $310 usd in almost mint condition from an older fello.

I purchased a 11" pro coil for it and a 13" mars discovery as well.

I would like to ask you minelab experts for a few starting tips.

I noticed the machine has 3 different audio modes in advanced, the audio 2 and 3 sound more linear in transition compared to the standard tone. Is there any benefit of this? Is it similar to the at pros zero mode?

Please let me know how know somebmore about this machine, it looks and feels like a quality detector.

OP
OP
O

orm25

Oct 29, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Garrett AT Pro, Vulcan 360 Pinpointer, Geotech Barracuda Pi, Minelab Sovereign GT, Minelab Explorer 2, bounty hunter pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anyone?

LI Tom

Bronze Member
Oct 19, 2006
Most people use the default audio.In the US for coin hunting for oldies,I use Conductive tones and a little iron mask.

OP
OP
O

orm25

Oct 29, 2012
Australia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most people use the default audio.In the US for coin hunting for oldies,I use Conductive tones and a little iron mask.
I went today and manage to find an old copper penny as well as a silver played ring.

I noticed that a rusty bolt gave the same signal id as foil but was much higher pitch

So far i am liking this machie.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
I have been using an Exp 2 for over ten years,I still just love it,never had any trouble at all with it and I havent been gentle. Just today my speaker started cutting out but I know they have wonderful service so I came by here hoping the new equinox might be for sale somewhere as the explorer will be gone for a bit. Ive always ran mine with very little discrimination,maybe ten percent. Good coins will ring up around 0f 28-30c, now as the coins start getting deeper the f will increase and the c will decrease,giving you maybe 4-26 or 5-24. Also deeper coins have a sort of flutey sound or someone once said a whistle under water. Move the coil back and forth quickly over targets to get a more true sound. I mainly use a little 4 inch trash coil an excelerator,or sun ray has good ones. Now for the last 8 years I have had a sunray probe on mine and its the best probe you can get,wired right into the detector I would try to find one. I dont think they make new ones anymore but they still service old ones and they are made VERY well,mine still works excellent and it has seen a lot of use. I also use rechargeable batteries or hey make packs,good luck with your new minelab.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deep iron will fool you, but some of that iron is pretty cool. Great advice from above. The machine will get quite before and after large iron if you listen close. You can almost always tell when you have a coin or something good. I like the smaller coils for weight. I loved the sunray pinpointer but broke my switch. I havnt used a pinpointer in about 5 years. I don't miss it and it was heavy. The detector pinpoints great. I don't hunt parks so it is easier for me not to use one. I hunt by tones and never looked into the numbers. I will verify the tone sometimes on the graph. I have used mine for 15 years now. I really can't believe the abuse my machine has seen over the years, you sure got a great buy!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread