What's new

My only Indian Flint pieces ......

Heavy Chevy

Full Member
Joined
Jun 18, 2005
Messages
221
Reaction score
2
Golden Thread
0
Location
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Hey Gang,

I found these at different locations here in SC several years apart.
The big one i found walking some railroad tracks mixed in with the granite rocks of the railbed.The small one i found next to my mothers pond after a hard rain the night before.

Both appear to be broken but i was happy finding each. They are not arrowheads but i was wondering if they were some type of cutting tools.

Any ideas ??

Thanks ,
Mike in SC
 

Attachments

  • flint.webp
    flint.webp
    3.7 KB · Views: 390
Upvote 0
Hey Mike, I've seen pieces like the one on the left in native American artifact museums up here in Illinois.
They called them awls, like for poking holes in hide and such.
Don't know about the other one. Just a chip maybe?
 
Thanks diggerdood,

I hadn't thought of an awl or poker. I was leaning toward some type of scraper for taking meat off a hide or so.
Now i think i was wrong. I believe you may be correct.

As for the little one you are probably right, a piece that was chipped off while knapping the rock.

Thanks again,

Mike in SC
 
Mike in SC said:
Hey Gang,

I found these at different locations here in SC several years apart.
The big one i found walking some railroad tracks mixed in with the granite rocks of the railbed.The small one i found next to my mothers pond after a hard rain the night before.

Both appear to be broken but i was happy finding each. They are not arrowheads but i was wondering if they were some type of cutting tools.

Any ideas ??

Thanks ,
Mike in SC

ON LEFT LOOKS LIKE A DRILL BIT BROKEN UNFINISHED ,OTHER A FLAKE OFF CORE OR NODULE
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom