My only Indian Flint pieces ......

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Hey Gang,

I found these at different locations here in SC several years apart.
The big one i found walking some railroad tracks mixed in with the granite rocks of the railbed.The small one i found next to my mothers pond after a hard rain the night before.

Both appear to be broken but i was happy finding each. They are not arrowheads but i was wondering if they were some type of cutting tools.

Any ideas ??

Thanks ,
Mike in SC

Attachments

• flint.jpg
    flint.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 353
Upvote 0
D

diggerdood

Hey Mike, I've seen pieces like the one on the left in native American artifact museums up here in Illinois.
They called them awls, like for poking holes in hide and such.
Don't know about the other one. Just a chip maybe?

OP
OP
Heavy Chevy

Heavy Chevy

Jun 18, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV and others
Thanks diggerdood,

I hadn't thought of an awl or poker. I was leaning toward some type of scraper for taking meat off a hide or so.
Now i think i was wrong. I believe you may be correct.

As for the little one you are probably right, a piece that was chipped off while knapping the rock.

Thanks again,

Mike in SC

bruce

Dec 28, 2004
northeast indiana
Detector(s) used
MP-5 Pro
Mike in SC said:
Hey Gang,

I found these at different locations here in SC several years apart.
The big one i found walking some railroad tracks mixed in with the granite rocks of the railbed.The small one i found next to my mothers pond after a hard rain the night before.

Both appear to be broken but i was happy finding each. They are not arrowheads but i was wondering if they were some type of cutting tools.

Any ideas ??

Thanks ,
Mike in SC

ON LEFT LOOKS LIKE A DRILL BIT BROKEN UNFINISHED ,OTHER A FLAKE OFF CORE OR NODULE

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread