What's new

My personal best so far.

A. Grignon

Full Member
Joined
Oct 9, 2007
Messages
176
Reaction score
14
Golden Thread
0
Location
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT & Whites Beachhunter
Hunting a trade era site on private property about a week ago, I came across this silver arm band or bracelet. It is hallmarked "RC" although the one hole goes through almost the entire "R" it is still recognizable.
The other end of the bracelet is marked "Montreal" and after a little research this is what I found:

"If Canadian silver craftsmanship of the 18th Century was largely a Quebec achievement, new developments took place at the end of that century — particularly in Montreal, which became a new and important center for silverwork in Canada. The growing British influence in Montreal, particularly because of work done by Robert Cruickshank for the Indian fur trade."

"The outstanding British craftsman in Canada undoubtedly was Robert Cruickshank (circa 1775-1809), who may have had his training in London, migrated to Canada via the United States, and became an important silversmith and merchant in Montreal. And his influence, chiefly in domestic silver and ornamental silver for the Indian trade, seems to have been considerable."

http://www.mccord-museum.qc.ca/scripts/viewobject.php?Lang=1&accessnumber=M1885.1&section=196

I would have to say its one of my favorite finds so far!
 

Attachments

  • DSC03853.webp
    DSC03853.webp
    54.6 KB · Views: 566
  • DSC03852.webp
    DSC03852.webp
    18.9 KB · Views: 565
  • DSC03851.webp
    DSC03851.webp
    16.2 KB · Views: 559
Upvote 0
Seriously great find! I think it's only the second or third Cruickshank I've seen on here. Man I'd love to find a piece like that. Considering I live in Montreal it kinda sucks I haven't....
Anyway found this pic I thought you'd like - from a book called the Covenant Chain Indian ceremonial and trade silver - The piece in the pic is at the National Gallery of Canada, Henry Birks Collection of Canadian Silver.
Again, big congrats - and keep up the great hunting!
 

Attachments

  • Cruickshank.webp
    Cruickshank.webp
    12.6 KB · Views: 521
That is an awesome find...big congrats.

NJ
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom