What's new

My prized key date coin just arived in the mail!

Gettintoknowsomethin

Full Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2009
Messages
223
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Long Beach CA.
Detector(s) used
$49.99 Radio Shack
I have always wanted this U.S. dime! It is a key date and very rare!. In the grade I bought the coin in there are only 70 of them in the world!. Its a real beauty! anyway, I wanted to share with you all and show you a photo of this coin! I hope you like it!. Also here is a chart to show this coins value as you can see the rate of return on this coin each year has been great!.The grade of my certified coin is VF-20.The coin now is worth $4500 U.S. dollars I got a deal on it and paid $3500!..... 1916-D Mercury Dimes Historical Value Trends
Mintage: 264,000
Year VG-8 F-12 VF-20 XF-40 AU-50 MS-60 MS-63 MS-65 MS-65 FSB MS-67 MS-67 FSB
1950 6.50 15.00 25.00 50.00 70.00 100 --- --- --- --- ---
1955 25.00 45.00 60.00 80.00 100 150 --- --- --- --- ---
1960 50.00 100 125 210 250 350 --- --- --- --- ---
1965 130 200 225 450 525 750 --- --- --- --- ---
1970 125 185 310 500 550 675 --- --- --- --- ---
1975 125 225 275 375 425 550 --- --- --- --- ---
1980 400 550 725 1000 1250 2000 --- --- --- --- ---
1985 425 775 1100 1575 1750 2300 --- --- --- --- ---
1990 500 850 1500 2000 3000 3750 5000 9300 17500 --- ---
1995 600 1200 1600 2500 3750 4300 5000 11000 15000 --- ---
2000 750 1250 1500 2500 4000 4750 5500 16000 35000 --- 75000
2002 750 1250 1500 2500 4000 4750 5500 16000 40000 --- 110000
2005 1250 2000 3000 4000 5750 8000 12500 25000 50000 --- 145000
2007 1750 3000 4500 6250 10000 15000 17500 30000 60000 45000 150000
2009 1750 3000 4500 6250 10000 15000 17500 30000 60000 45000 150000
Compounded Annual % Return Rate Since…
Computed from year indicated in left-most column to the year 2009
Year VG-8 F-12 VF-20 XF-40 AU-50 MS-60 MS-63 MS-65 MS-65 FSB MS-67 MS-67 FSB
1950 9.95 9.40 9.20 8.53 8.77 8.86 --- --- --- --- ---
1980 5.22 6.02 6.50 6.52 7.43 7.19 --- --- --- --- ---
1995 7.95 6.76 7.67 6.76 7.26 9.33 9.36 7.43 10.41 --- ---
2002 12.87 13.32 16.99 13.99 13.99 17.85 17.98 9.40 5.96 --- 4.53
 

Attachments

  • image001[1].webp
    image001[1].webp
    20.8 KB · Views: 272
  • image002[1].webp
    image002[1].webp
    23.5 KB · Views: 280
  • image003[1].webp
    image003[1].webp
    7.5 KB · Views: 275
my grandpa left me a whole roll of those 1916 D's in near mint shape are really worth that much ? :wink: ;D-- kidding -- just I wish gramps did --- that is a great coin you got there and very very rare in that good of shape.
 
I really wanted to find this dime detecting in a tot lot but I just got tired of waiting!
 
a tot lot would be the last place you;ld find onemost likely (unless its buillt on a old 1916 era building) --- you need to look for a well used early 1916 to 1920 era area . --- find where the people of that era were at in your area to find where they might have lost one at --- first things first **** it had to be lost then for you to find it there now. --rule #1 --look were the stuff you seek was maybe actually lost at***** rather than where you just want to hunt at.

you don't go deer hunting downtown --you got to the woods --because thats were the deer are.***** same basic ideal.
 
Just like I figured! it was much easier just to buy the coin!
For some strange reason there seems to be many fake 1916-d dimes so I made sure to get a PCGS graded coin. I figure when I retire in 10 years I can sell it for a small profit! at least I can keep up with inflation. The goverment is spending so much cash and printing more each day!. You dont make any money in a CD these days!
 
That is one beautiful dime. This is an investment that over a few
years, will earn you a few thousand dollars. I would keep this coin in a safe.

Winged Liberty Head or Mercury Dime.
Although this coin is commonly called the Mercury dime, the main device is in
fact a representation of Liberty.
The wings crowning her cap are intended to symbolize liberty of thought.
The designer's monogram AW is to the right of the neck.

Congratulation on your nice investment. :thumbsup:

Clayton
 
Here is a video on the grading process my coin went through. I didn't realise grading a coin could be so complicated!
 
nice looking dime you got there....Matt
 
grading standards must have loosened. used to be the sticks on the back had to all be there for fine.
If PCGS called that coin VF I have some seriously undergraded coins in my holders. Appreciate the
information you made me a whole bunch of money. Nice coin. thanks, siegfried schlagrule
 
Siegfried Schlagrule said:
grading standards must have loosened. used to be the sticks on the back had to all be there for fine.
If PCGS called that coin VF I have some seriously undergraded coins in my holders. Appreciate the
information you made me a whole bunch of money. Nice coin. thanks, siegfried schlagrule

That is interesting. My "A Guide to the Grading of United States Coins" says a VF(20) must show two key points: "Liberty's hair braid will show considerable detail" and "The two diagonal bands must show where they cross the bundle of sticks."


"Photograde" says about the same: "Obverse - About three-quarters of the feathers will be visible. Reverse - All the vertical lines will be sharp. The two diagonal bands will be complete across the fasces.""
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom