What's new

My Sand Scoop Sling Mod

Fitzwilk

Sr. Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2013
Messages
368
Reaction score
193
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rigged a rifle sling to my sand scoop. Tied a shoestring to upper end which can be slid up or down for digging or carrying on shoulder. Works great.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3200.webp
    IMG_3200.webp
    376.2 KB · Views: 313
  • IMG_3201.webp
    IMG_3201.webp
    431 KB · Views: 353
Upvote 0
Are you strictly dry and wet sand? I ask because out in the water I would think the set up would be a hassle, maybe even dangerous. Do you find this more comfortable than just dragging it behind you?
 
Are you strictly dry and wet sand? I ask because out in the water I would think the set up would be a hassle, maybe even dangerous. Do you find this more comfortable than just dragging it behind you?

Yes......I've just used this for beach hunting and is more comfortable for me than dragging or carrying scoop over shoulder. I've not been under water yet, other than some 3 foot deep tidal pools. What do you use to dig underwater?
 
Are you strictly dry and wet sand? I ask because out in the water I would think the set up would be a hassle, maybe even dangerous. Do you find this more comfortable than just dragging it behind you?

Terry is 100% correct here. I use to use a simple chest harness for my excal control unit. One day I was hunting a fairly shallow run, maybe rib-deep, got hit by a surge and the next thing I know the handle of my scoop has slid up through the harness and the undertow from the retreating surge was suddenly dragging me with it. NEVER attach anything to your body that you can't easily detach. Straps, ropes, etc.,.....they may serve a purpose and seem like a good idea but they can also twist around in the current and wrap you up in a hurry. Next day I was back to the straight shaft with nothing attached to my body other then my headphones and forearm strap. :thumbsup:
 
As BigScoop says, in the water you do not want extra straps that can get tangled when you bite it getting hit by a wave.
 
Thanks for the advice, makes sense to me. I'm looking forward to trying underwater detecting when the water warms into the 70's later this spring.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom