- #1
Thread Owner
I was told by my father of a treasure in a cast iron pot that was buried in a area around natchez. He said he remembered as a child going with his parents to the site where they had dug out with big heavy machinery and hooked on to the pot. He said there was a big crowd of folks all watching. While trying to pull the pot out of the mississippi mud the cable broke and they did not try again. This took place in the late 1950's or the very early 60's. The story caught my imagination and when I was around 13 or 14 I went to the state archives and tried to look up through old newspapers to see if I could find the story. After hours of looking I found a few articles about the pot of gold. I am 26 now and I dont really remember all the details of the article. I just remember that it was a cast iron pot, supposedly treasure buried by theives of the natchez trace, buried on someone's land or farm, each time they reached the cast iron pot it kept sinking further in the mud, and after sometime the area they dug out became the size of a small pond and filled with water. Does this story sound familiar to anyone? Would like to save myself the time of having to go back to the archives....
. The story can be found in the New Orleans Time Picayune newspaper about 1955. They did extensive coverage with photos in their Sunday special . I think it was called the "The Mirror" I heard that he sold shares in the adventure and that was how he raised his funds. I think he ran a small auto repair business in Laurel. He did seem to prosper afterwards. He was respected by friends and I never heard that it was a scam, some say that he did recover some coins. I seem to remember that they hooked onto it several times and cable either slipped off or broke because of quicksand. I think it was described as a cast iron chest (similar to a casket) instead of a pot.






