Native American Mini Grinding Stone or ??

cliffv65

Greenie
Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey folks, bumped in to a real head scratcher. My brother and I were out hunting one of our favorite pre-civil war sites here in Ga, but the area also yields a lot of nice Native American relic finds if you keep a sharp eye out. I found this object along with a large 8x10 slate grinding stone and another larger hand held grinder. Now I realize this could also be an early American something or another but it sure has me. Object about the size of a ping pong ball ( its not one we tried to play and it didnt do so well). Made of stone, flat on one side and heavy as the dickens. No, it is not metal. The darker color on the flat side is where i was using ink to see if it was some sort of stamp. esrOnpC3RECqrngckTVDVQ.jpg H%6b+pgbTPykvM%I3QAELw.jpg B8HYUZ2eTyS0OLyso5mNqA.jpg

Upvote 7
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Interesting find! :occasion14:

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Possibly a hammer stone

Grizz12

Dec 22, 2018
Alaska
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe it was used in some sort of game

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like an eggstone or bola stone (differing theories on these things). Sorta hard to say from the pics, but if so, that's a damn good find. Can you take a straight on shot with it sitting on the flat? South Georgia?

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
My first thought is that it is too perfectly round to by made by an Indian. Not sure on this one. Gary

OP
OP
C

cliffv65

Greenie
Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So after your suggestion this might be a Bola stone, I did a little research and this appears to be exactly what it is and made of Hematite hence the heavy weight, and where there is one...... Thanks for the clue.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's one I have that is also made of hematite. A local mechanic waved me down one day to show what he had found on his farm. "Any ideas on this? See, a magnet sticks to it." More egg-shaped, crude, but those things don't pop up every day. I gave him a spare display case but after a few months I ended up doing him a nice sign in exchange for it and everybody was happy.

egg.jpg egg1.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

cliffv65

Greenie
Aug 29, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice artifact as well. After considerable reading I have learned that these bola/egg stones are considerably rare. The ones made of Hematite, very much so. Hang on to it. I am

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread