What's new

Native American San Gabriel Blades

The Beep Goes On

Silver Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
3,716
Reaction score
1,504
Golden Thread
0
Location
Houston, TX
Detector(s) used
Deus II/HF2, Manticore, E-Trac, Excalibur II, V3i, Pro-Find 40, Vibra-Probe 585, TRX
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Saw this on X...looks like it's from 5 years ago.

"Jonesboro, Texas archaeologists unearthed 2 near perfect Native American San Gabriel blades (pre-historic stone blades/knives) that date back to 150 CE – 450 CE items buried in pairs like these are considered by some to be cache, intentionally buried perhaps is some sort of ceremony."

Video


1772236204038.webp
 
Upvote 0
Saw this on X...looks like it's from 5 years ago.

"Jonesboro, Texas archaeologists unearthed 2 near perfect Native American San Gabriel blades (pre-historic stone blades/knives) that date back to 150 CE – 450 CE items buried in pairs like these are considered by some to be cache, intentionally buried perhaps is some sort of ceremony."

Video


View attachment 2245782

Yin and Yang. Wonder it that was a coincidence?
 
Fantastic finds. Too bad they will end up in a museum storage room and the public will never see them again.
 
Last edited:
I wonder some whether these were dug by “archeologist” at least in the sense of government type. They are laying in a screen made from expanded metal. I’ve never seen an archeologist who has used that for a screen. Often they are using 1/4” hardware cloth. I suspect these were found during a paid dig, or just an individual on private property with a skid steer and a table or shaker.
So luckily, they have a chance at being admired and studied.
 
I wonder some whether these were dug by “archeologist” at least in the sense of government type. They are laying in a screen made from expanded metal. I’ve never seen an archeologist who has used that for a screen. Often they are using 1/4” hardware cloth. I suspect these were found during a paid dig, or just an individual on private property with a skid steer and a table or shaker.
So luckily, they have a chance at being admired and studied.
They did say something in the video that “the bucket almost hit it”. I was thinking along your lines.
 
Amazing recovery.
Huge excavation going on at the site.
Would be so much fun owning a screening plant.
 
There was a guy on here awhile back from Texas who I think called himself Garscale. He had a skidsteer and a power shaker he used for finding points. I believe he would go to areas about to be cleared for construction and make a deal with the landowners to scrape areas for points first. He found so much stuff it was unreal. Thousands, not hundreds of points. Many absolutely perfect. I'm sure he damaged a few in the process but none of them would have been found if he wouldn't have dug them before construction built over the entire site.
 
They did say something in the video that “the bucket almost hit it”. I was thinking along your lines.
I saw this somewhere else and there was a big argument whether these were burial or just a cache. I’m all for protecting burial things but to me there wasn’t any signs of that, but then we only see what they share. If I remember correctly it was private property permission and they used a backhoe.
 
There was a guy on here awhile back from Texas who I think called himself Garscale. He had a skidsteer and a power shaker he used for finding points. I believe he would go to areas about to be cleared for construction and make a deal with the landowners to scrape areas for points first. He found so much stuff it was unreal. Thousands, not hundreds of points. Many absolutely perfect. I'm sure he damaged a few in the process but none of them would have been found if he wouldn't have dug them before construction built over the entire site.
FYI... Steve can be found over on AF, and he is still posting all his dig/grubbing finds over there...
 
They find a lot of very large blades like that here in Mississippian burials. Beautiful pieces.
 
That is too cool!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom