Silly Squids

DonF

Nov 28, 2006
Brick, NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Ace 250, Whites 5900/DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I remember sending the pollywogs down to get the sterngate key or to the machinery room for a BT punch. Several of my BB stackers stood mail buoy watch while the other were applying baby sh** to gun mount fittings. Half the time the guns were broke-dick. Being a gator-freighter sailor, we found ourselves either doing gator squares or DIW a lot of the time. We passed a lot of time visiting the gee-dunk locker or just dicking the dog on the gun mount. After informing my men to heave out and trice up, we would go to quarters were I spent time squaring away my sailors, making sure there were no irish pennants and their marine napkins were buttoned up during inspections. If they lolly-gagged or gundecked PMS they were usually sent to NJP and if they were lucky, they only received EMI or GMT. I remember float testing a lot of gear on our way to GITMO. We stood many condition 3 watches, GQ and had just about enough time to take marine showers. I've since retired to CIVLANT and I wanna shout out to my airdale and dirt-sailor brothers. GMG1

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

riverdiver

Sep 27, 2011
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic5 ID
White's Surf Master II with the dive rod
Garrett Treasure Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dream catcher,

Thanks for the trip down memory lane, I served from 84-90 USN HT2 (SW) USS Briscoe DD-977 home ported out of No**** Vagina...lol and 90% of what you said was daily on board language for this Snipe. Twidgets were sent below decks for an HT punch or 50' of gig line and new snipes in central control were sent looking for a steam hammer or a gallon of radioactive ink for the laser printer. When I was taking my at sea qualification test for ESWS the Chief Bo'sun mate had us all on the fo'castle looking aft when he asked us "where are the headlights" we searched the front of that ship for 10 minutes give or take when he said " there in the head, you ****ing polliwogs!" LMAO...

augoldminer

Jan 7, 2013
high desert goldfields
Detector(s) used
gold master V-sat
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A sparky here understands.
I did 4 active and two reserve.

Wooden Ships and Rusty Crusty Iron Men.
MSO-437 Operation Endsweep
American Legion post 4 Olongapo PI

1shotwade

May 29, 2014
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
white 4900/d
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK<It's not possible to lollygag around the scuttlebut so I assume you were lollygagging around the poopdeck listening to the scuttlebut! I've been out since 73 and never missed a word of that!'Does bring back memories,good and bad! LOL
Also good to see the gator navy represented here! I was brownwater at navsuppacdet ,218 phon din phoon,Siegon the 3 on the Raleigh lpd-1.
Greetings to all! Enjoyed the read!

Wade

PS- Noone mentioned Torpedo juice!!!??

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread