bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
D5E723C6-3B67-4E94-843D-308A6EAD77CC.jpeg

This is a shot in the dark as I have virtually no knowledge of Native American artifacts. But I found this bone beside a creek that is about a half mile from a documented Native American village that was occupied up to the 1500s. Not sure if the groove in the bone is natural or not, was wondering if it mught have been a sort of tool. The bone itself is pretty heavy, almost like rock. Petrified maybe?

Upvote 4
OP
OP
B

bufaloeletric

Oct 27, 2012
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Umax, Tesoro Outlaw, Garrett AT Max, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it’s a metapodial bone from a white tail, don’t know about soils where you are but I’m skeptical something 500 years old would be in that kind of condition
View attachment 2031420
I think it’s a metapodial bone from a white tail, don’t know about soils where you are but I’m skeptical something 500 years old would be in that kind of condition
View attachment 2031420
Well, I stated the place was supposedly abandoned at that time. I never conjectured that bone was put there 500 years ago. Definitely appears to be what you found though. There is predominantly shale in that area, lots of limestone as you climb elevation. Don’t know about the soil itself though. Thanks.

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The fact you say it’s heavy is interesting the reason I mentioned soil is they can make a big difference in preservation around here soil is pretty hard on bone and old bone is pretty scarce, your area could be different, without knowing what the soils were like I was just kinda going with the general odds that it’s probably not very old like 10’s of years… thus not native, but if it was in a favorable spot it’s entirely possible, I’d look for cut marks that could be a solid clue.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread