What's new

Neat Fossil Find

ENGRAVER

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 8, 2005
Messages
91
Reaction score
1
Golden Thread
0
Location
Chitown
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I found this fossil while fishing in a pond with rip rap around it. I looked down and saw what looked like a snail. It is the only one I have ever found and it has now sparked an interest to learn more and possibly a new hobby. I hope to be able to get out and search soon, I have been looking online and have found a few places, now to just get some time off of work. Well, hope you enjoy my pic and thanks for looking.

20120312_123815.webp​


Luis S.
 
Ammonite.

A small one.

Ammonitelargest.jpg
 
ENGRAVER said:
I found this fossil while fishing in a pond with rip rap around it. I looked down and saw what looked like a snail. It is the only one I have ever found and it has now sparked an interest to learn more and possibly a new hobby. I hope to be able to get out and search soon, I have been looking online and have found a few places, now to just get some time off of work. Well, hope you enjoy my pic and thanks for looking.


​


Luis S.

One of the best ways to learn more is to visit/join your local rock club. They have speakers, field trips, members who can identify what you find, encourage you, etc. Here's a link to the Illinois ones, just scroll down to Chicago.

http://www.rockhounds.com/rockshop/clubs/illinois.shtml

It's a fun hobby, whether you know what you're finding or not. (My family is still in the middle - we kinda know what we have, are looking for, but we haven't gotten as far as cutting, polishing or cabbing yet.)
Tigger
 
Wow, thats a big fossil, NICE!!!

Tigger, thanks for the link, I think just finding is awesome, to think what was happening and/or what they were doing when they ended up where we find them today. Its very cool, thanks for the link, I will be looking into it.

Luis S.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom