Need Advice - X-Terra 705 Coil Choice for Beach Hunting

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m planning to spend a week in Florida (Fort Lauderdale area) in the next month or two. I have a Minelab X-Terra 705 and looking to hit the beaches with it, both wet and dry sand.

The only coil I have is the Minelab Double-D 18.75kHz coil that came with my detector (the coil was part of the X-Terra 705 Gold Pack I purchased). For pinpointing duties, I have a Minelab ProFind 25.

In any case, what coil/frequency for my X-Terra 705 would be best for beach, break line, dry/wet sand detecting? Not hunting anything specific, rather just finding what I can find.

Any advice or recommendations from the collective would be appreciated! Thanks!

Upvote 0

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Use any coil you want in the dry sand, because none of them are going to work well on the wet sand. Your machine is NOT built for wet saltwater beaches, but will tear it up in the dry sand.:icon_thumleft:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
At most beaches, there is more sand to search than you can possibly cover, so, i recommend the biggest coil you can find to get as much coverage as you can. As Terry mentioned, it will probably be a waste of time trying to detect in the wet sand with your machine, but, you can certainly try. You'll probably have to turn the sensitivity way down to make it close to being stable. Oh, and dig everything that isn't a dead iron target. Good luck!

OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Use any coil you want in the dry sand, because none of them are going to work well on the wet sand.
Is there a specific coil frequency I should be using in dry sand?

At most beaches, there is more sand to search than you can possibly cover, so, i recommend the biggest coil you can find to get as much coverage as you can.
From what I researched, the X-Terra 705 can use the big 15" coils, but they come in three different frequencies. Which frequency should I choose?

At the end of the day, I'm not sure if I should stick with my stock Minelab DD 18.75kHz coil that came with my detector, go for the Minelab 15" DD coil, or the Minelab 10.5" DD round coil.

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lower freqs are better for coin-sized targets at depth, while higher freqs (17kHz and above) are better for tiny targets like one-gram gold nuggets.

OP
OP
F

Fossil4Life

Jul 11, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lower freqs are better for coin-sized targets at depth, while higher freqs (17kHz and above) are better for tiny targets like one-gram gold nuggets.
So would using a 15” DD 7.5kHz coil on my X-Terra 705 be the best of both worlds for metal detecting dry beach sand? Kind of split the difference, as far as performance and detectability is concerned?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So would using a 15” DD 7.5kHz coil on my X-Terra 705 be the best of both worlds for metal detecting dry beach sand? Kind of split the difference, as far as performance and detectability is concerned?

Yes!:occasion14::skullflag:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread