Need help identifing these items........................

cjprice

May 21, 2006
Cape Coral, FL
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Tesoro Silver Umax
Hello,

I inherited these items from my grandfather, I know very little about them. I was given a box, that is full items just like this, this is a small portion of what's in it. My mothers family is from Poland, and came over in 1957, through Ellis Island, NY. I remember stories my grandfather told of throwing Molotov cocktails at German tanks in the streets, and the tanks swing there turrets around, and firing on the nearby buildings. Talk about David vs. Goliath. If you have any info on the below items, please let me know!

Thanks,
Chris

DSCF1534.jpg

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nazi campaign shield worn on uniform sleeve, upper left... Two Nazi party membership pins several hat and uniform items. A red cross pin and assorted charms and pins of the Nazi era. A nice collection with several of the items worth $35 to about $80 each. PM me if you have a specific question. Also check out...www. manions.com for more information. you have to register but it is worth the trouble.
DG

Upvote 0

nhbenz

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2004
Brentwood, NH
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SL
White's Surf P.I.
Wide one in center is a Luftwaffe hat device, above the left side of that is an Afrika Korp pith helmet left side badge. Below the Luftwaffe device is a veterans cap insignia (or breast pin, depending on how it attaches). Upper left corner is a Demjansk campaign shield (in this battle an airlift saved the German army). Top right is a Achievment/championship badge for success in representing Germany in international competitions.

Upvote 0

Michelle

Bronze Member
May 7, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The pin with POZNAN is city in Poland ...still looking The

City of POZNAN
has been located on the right bank of the Warta River in western Poland for over 1000 years. Fortified city was founded in 9th century and Prince of Great Poland (Wielkopolska) Przemysl I gave the city rights of Poznan in 1253. Poznan is capital of Great Poland Province. Thanks to the Poznan International Fair and host of Polish and international banks based here, it is also regarded as Poland's capitol of commerce and finance.
There are different submits about rise of the city name. Some chroniclers maintained that city owed this name because on this grounds met King of Poland Boleslaw Chrobry (The Brave) and German Caesar Otton III. Archdiac from Gniezno John (Jan) said that city got the name POZNAN because here Prince Mieszko I received the christianity and here Poles knew the new faith. Other version take the name POZNAN from legend about Lech, Czech and Rus who met themselves and for celebrate this historical meeting they decided found the fortified city between Cybina River and Warta River and call it POZNAN.

Which version is true? We only know that this name has slavonic origin, i.e. from adjective and oridnary name "poznany" (recognized).

The city with an area of 26,131 ha is a major railroad and road junction and a port on the Warta River. POZNAN is conveniently situated. It is only 300 km from Warszawa and Berlin, 465 km from Copenhagen, 885 km from Brussels, 1215 km from Rome and 1395 km from Moscow. Today with its about 600,000 inhabitants (269,585 of men + 308,650 women = 578,235 together, 31.12.1998), including approximately 60,000 university students, it is a major university center midway between Berlin and Warsaw. It is also a major center for European and international trade and industrial conventions and fairs so that the hotel, dining and entertainment facilities excel on a European standard. The chief industries are food processing and the manufacture of metals, engines, freight cars, machine tools, chemicals, and ceramics. The City itself presents a pleasant environment beautified with an abundance of greenery and lakes throughout. It has a picturesque, medieval downtown (Stare Miasto), a 19th-20th century central business section and modern residential areas around the City. In 1956 workers staged large-scale protest demonstrations in Poznan, which led to changes in the Stalin' era.

As POZNAN is a city with a tradition longer than 1,000 years, the environs are a veritable paradise for tourists. Their heritage includes monuments from all historical epochs in Europe. The city has numerous castles, palaces, mansions, old tenement houses, churches, heritage parks. Make sure you do not miss the pearl of northern Europen architecture and POZNAN's most characteristics edifice: the Renaissance Town Hall with its magnificent tower in the Old Market Square. Every June the Market place as well as the wonderful recreational area around artificial Malta Lake, turns into a huge open-air stage for performances of the "Malta" International Theater Festival. POZNAN is worldwide famous for its Henryk Wieniawski International Violin Competitions, boys' and men's choirs (Poznan Nightingales - S.Stuligrosz, Polish Nightingales - J.Kurczewski), the Amadeus Chamber Orchestra (A.Duczmal), the International Jazz Festival "Jazz Fair", the Folk Blues Fair, the Polish Dance Theatre (E.Wycichowska), Europe's only Museum of Musical Instruments, and many, many more.

No matter who you are or where you come from, you can always count on our hospitality and professional, friendly service.

CREST
OF
POZNAN

The coat-of-arms has blue background, white city wall with battlements, a gate and three towers. Above the central tower (the tallest) is a red shield with a white eagle and golden stripe on its wings. Two standing figures, Saint Paul with a golden sword and Saint Peter with a golden key, on the other two towers. In the gate, two golden keys and a cross above them. Next to the figures of the Saints, golden stars and half-moons. The coat-of-arms, known from seals since the fourteenth century, was approved in 1936.

Attachments

• lpo2.jpg
    lpo2.jpg
    7.3 KB · Views: 431
Upvote 0

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
I shall list under the order 1) the award for fights in an environment under Russian city of Demjanskom, 2) I do not know. 3) a sign on an accessory to a party 4) a sign on Russian city of Kemerovo 5) 6) I do not know

Also in the center of a cocarde from officer cap-your grandfather was the officer? Was at war not far from Moscow apparently

Upvote 0

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
In 42 year in area of city Demjansk the German army under command of the general Seidlits has been surrounded. The city деянск is located in 300 kilometers from Moscow. Almost all 10.000 surrounded the soldier were lost in Demjansk bogs from a cold of a scurvy and Russian bullets

Upvote 0

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Um this is not quiet right. The Germans weren't eliminated as you suggest. There were 95000 German troops which held off three Russian armies of over 18 Divisions whose attacks were beaten off over a four month period from Feb 8 to April 21 1942. Their commander was not Seidlitz although a German General of that name was captured at Stalingrad. The commander is reputed to be General der Infanterie Walter Graf von Brockdorff-Ahlefeldt. The Germans broke the siege and fighting continued in the area until the Russians liberated Demjansk in March 43.

Upvote 0

nahabit

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2006
Harry_Morant said:
Um this is not quiet right. The Germans weren't eliminated as you suggest. There were 95000 German troops which held off three Russian armies of over 18 Divisions whose attacks were beaten off over a four month period from Feb 8 to April 21 1942. Their commander was not Seidlitz although a German General of that name was captured at Stalingrad. The commander is reputed to be General der Infanterie Walter Graf von Brockdorff-Ahlefeldt. The Germans broke the siege and fighting continued in the area until the Russians liberated Demjansk in March 43.
If you did not know that Seidlitz odered about operation deblocking by the surrounded grouping of Germans. As among the surrounded parts there were parts SS a TotenKopf. Look the friend my posts in Relic Hunt and all you will understand.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread