Need help IDing

S

sounder

Found this in the yard. I guessed that it may be a piece of horse harness, but I don't really know.

Its about 3 1/2 half inches across the bottom, 1 1/2 inches across the top. It is made from semi-round stock, and has a built in bend from top to bottom.

I would like to know if it is in fact a piece of horse harness, and from what era it is from.

Thanks ahead of time to anyone who knows, and is willing to share their expertise.

sounder

Attachments

• metal detecting.jpg
    metal detecting.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 298
  • metal detecting pictures 001.jpg
    metal detecting pictures 001.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 289
L

lookstwice

hey sounder...don't know where you are hunting, but there is a style of harness that we in the south call "yankee britching" that has tugs like that...some were located at the horse's hip (connecting leathers on the back part of the harness) and one on each side up front connecting the leather used to pull the load to the collar (in the south we use trace chains and "loggerheads" to do the same job)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S

sounder

lookstwice----I'm in the middle of Illinois. Thanks for your input. I don't know much about harness, but this just looks like it would fit somewhere on a harness. How would I go about trying to find an age on this?

Thanks again!!

sounder

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread