Need help with my 1266 X Fisher detector. Got wet in the rain.

Roadquest

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2005
C.R. HKt.B Sometimes there's not a right way, or
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So, my nephew and I were out detecting in a large wooded area. We were about a quarter mile in. And it started raining hard. My 1266 X got wet. Now when I turn it on, it it just gives a loud screeching sound. I know it was damaged by the rain. Any ideas on what kind of damage was done. And how to fix it? Thanks

Newfiehunter

Oct 20, 2007
Newfoundland
Detector(s) used
Currently own: Fisher CZ5, Eurotek Pro, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Cortes, Vibraprobe 560, Vibradetector 720, Garrett ProPointer. Makro Pinpoiinter Used: Whites Liberty2, Garrett Freedom3, Garrett GTA 1
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So, my nephew and I were out detecting in a large wooded area. We were about a quarter mile in. And it started raining hard. My 1266 X got wet. Now when I turn it on, it it just gives a loud screeching sound. I know it was damaged by the rain. Any ideas on what kind of damage was done. And how to fix it? Thanks

You should let it dry out for a few days to see if it will work in a couple of days time...I had one and put tape over the speaker to prevent water from getting inside...Actually I also had a rain cover that I purchased in the States somewhere and it was waterproof, but it wasn't made by Fisher. The tape would have probably have saved you from getting water inside...But hindsight is 20/20. Hope it works out for you and you have a great detector there. Good luck...

steve1357

May 17, 2013
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher Teknetics Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do not use wd40 or any other oils in it.
Id call Fisher...

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1) When you get electronics wet don't turn them on.

2) this has worked for me with both cell phones, and my favorite camera. Get yourself a big bag of rice, big enough to put the whole control box in. totally bury the control box in rice, leave it for 3 or 4 days, and if it is not already ruined, this will dry it out, as I said it HAS WORKED FOR ME on the items I mentioned.

Ass Newfie hunter mentions hindsight is 20-20, so in the future I would always have a plastic bag when you go detecting, at least that will give you some rain protection.

GL.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread