What's new

Need help with old leather preservation

Hillbilly Prince

Gold Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2018
Messages
5,000
Reaction score
12,719
Golden Thread
0
Location
SW Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett All Terrain Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not my own skin :) I have a Civil War era scabbard of leather. All I have learned so far is avoid silicon and
chemical additives but otherwise no products mentioned to use on the leather for best preservation. Anyone have any experience with this?
 
Neatsfoot oil Maybe?
 
Don't do anything to the leather until you contact a person who does historical restorations. I'd suggest contacting someone at Colonial Williamsburg. The persons working in the shops there are apprenticed craftsmen (and craftswomen) who know their business.
 
Could maybe try leather balm-- keeps leather soft-- I think it is mild to use. HH
 
Don't do anything to the leather until you contact a person who does historical restorations. I'd suggest contacting someone at Colonial Williamsburg. The persons working in the shops there are apprenticed craftsmen (and craftswomen) who know their business.
The scabbard is in great shape. I want to keep it that way so perhaps it would be best to ask those people.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
 
Not sure about vintage leather but Lexol is fantastic leather conditioner. I think anything you put on it will likely change the color so I’d keep that in mind.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom