πŸ”Ž UNIDENTIFIED Need help with some colonial period relic.

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey everyone. Was hoping to get some help with the ID of these unknown to me items found at a colonial period site. Coins mostly dated between 1740-1800, most relics seemed to suggest the site was abandoned before 1820

Appears to be some kind of a hook (possibly used in clothing?) The first type seems to be decorated with an image of two birds and heart. I'm not certain of the metal composition but it certainly isn't lead. Could be some type of pewter, silver or nickel alloy.

Thanks

20230105_110956.jpg
20230105_112216.jpg 20230105_181628.jpg

OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Possible pulls... ?

I doubt it. They seem too fragile for it. Plus, it wouldn't explain the holes that are visible in the back. I was thinking maybe some type of corset hooks...not sure

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well not for furniture... i should have been more specific... more like a jewelry box or tea caddy type dealio.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well not for furniture... i should have been more specific... more like a jewelry box or tea caddy type dealio.
Could be the case. I'm curious about those holes that were added on, I think they would explain a lot on its use

Reactions: ARC
Upvote 1

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be the case. I'm curious about those holes that were added on, I think they would explain a lot on its use
Personally... I think they are purely aesthetic /decorative.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Personally... I think they are purely aesthetic /decorative.
20230105_112216.jpg

I think they were made on purpose. They don't seem to be improving the looks of the item.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Perhaps the multiple tiny holes in the PLAIN-backed fancy brass hook were put in it to allow it to be sewed onto cloth or leather. Perhaps it thus became half of a cloak-clasp... or something similar.

There's no need to put any labor into creating designs or emblems on the back when that side will be always-&-completely "hidden from view."

Upvote 5
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Perhaps the multiple tiny holes in the PLAIN-backed fancy brass hook were put in it to allow it to be sewed onto cloth or leather. Perhaps it thus became half of a cloak-clasp... or something similar.

There's no need to put any labor into creating designs or emblems on the back when that side will be always-&-completely "hidden from view."
Yes, that's what I think as well. Just not sure what it was attached to.

Upvote 1

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dakota Sioux wrote:
> Could be part of the belt hangers for a sword.

That is a very good guess. It is definitely on the right track toward the object's correct ID. But Aureus's find is much too small and "lightweight construction" to carry the weight of a sword in its scabbard. Compare the diameter and "thin-ness" of the loop on Aureus's find to the thick sturdy loop on the sword scabbard-strap hanger in the photo you posted.

Upvote 3
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just noticed something I haven't before. The holes on both items seem to align.

20230116_115238.jpg
20230116_115523.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just noticed something I haven't before. The holes on both items seem to align. They appear to be hand made after the items were cast, so I'm wondering if there was some type of small metal rods connecting the objects through those holes.

View attachment 2065008 View attachment 2065009
IMO... They were cast in a mold... it is simply part of the design... now like CBG suggested... they may have had a use for being sewn into a garment.

Last edited:
Upvote 2

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They look at least 18th C or a bit earlier.
If found in the UK I would have thought Clothes fasteners, but ours stopped in the late 16th C, so not sure what to think about yours.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Aureus

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
They look at least 18th C or a bit earlier.
If found in the UK I would have thought Clothes fasteners, but ours stopped in the late 16th C, so not sure what to think about yours.
That's what was my dilemma as well. I'm used to find similar items in Europe and was a bit confused after finding these in Canada. Of course there's no way for them to be as old as the ones found in UK and France but their look and construction made me think of the relics I've seen in Europe. Considering the area I have found them at, they should be no older than mid 18th century. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to be a common relic here. Most certainly, I have never found anything similar in Canada and I've found a lot of stuff in the last 7 years.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread