Need some help friends, one of ya know i am sure

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would like to know what, and what process in the formation of mica,causes this feature I discovered while splitting a large biotite mica (book) this is a sample from a friends property in north Carolina, a historic gold mine, props to friend and fellow tnetter (Buckshot)I collected this sample while visiting and exploring his property, a great experience, back to the mica,I have never found any patterns like this in mica,I immediately thought pyrite replaced by mica, I need your assistance, just want to understand at what point this takes place,and what it was if it is a replacement 0401182104.jpg

OP
OP
L

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I feel I should say that the (triangle's) are opposite sides of the same feature, one on the left is recessed and the right side is a relief of the same, 0401182105a.jpg

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is possible there are/were crystals of rutile with it. Rutile is an ore of titanium and occurs frequently in NC.

Upvote 0

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Good call on the Rutile cat. :thumbsup:

Probably not Rutile crystals themselves due to the crystal angles being wrong. They could be impressions of Sagenite crystal forms where they cross. Sagenite is Rutile but the form it takes is due to multiple crystals twinning habit instead of strict crystal form. That would explain the positive/negative impression.

In any case it appears to be a psuedomorph rather than a mica habit. Curiously I've collected some very similar Biotite near Ancho, New Mexico. There is no rutile found in that area. Being a solid solution a lot of Biotite is the result of decomposition of other mineral deposits so psuedomorphs are more the rule than the exception.

Nice interesting specimen.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
L

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the fantastic info, that's exactly what I wanted to learn, thanks smoky, clay, not often I don't have a clue, needed xperts! ! Very cool

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread