Need some help on a decision between metal detectors

TheButtonKing

Jun 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi everyone,
So, I am trying to make a tough decision between a few detectors. So, I went metal detecting on Sunday and my Garrett at max, which has been a wonderful machine to me, decided to do some wonky things and I called Garrett the next day. I'm going to send in my metal detector and they're going to look at it for free and replace anything that needs to be replaced because it is luckily still under warranty. I am planning on keeping both the Garrett at max and the z link pinpointer no matter what happens as a side note. Back to what I was saying though, I'm looking for a second detector for the beach and at the same time does great for land detecting because I'm also purchasing this detector as a replacement to the old minelab explorer SE detector that the family has used a lot on all types of terrain because that detector recently started to act up like crazy as well. I've been debating between the Equinox 800 or 600 because I've done some research on them. I was originally just going to go with a simple machine like the vanquish that would cover me for the moment and be a great simple machine later for the family. As I kept looking everyone was really recommending the equinox series, specifically the Equinox 800. I didn't want to spend that type of money so I tried to ignore it before but I see all these good features and things about this series and I realize its a great detector according to most people and now I've found more excuses to get this detector so it's more of the decision between the 600 and the 800. I understand the main feature about the 800 package that's great is the wireless headphones and the module already come with it.

I've seen other things too that of course make the 800 a better machine. But, I also think, are those other features in the 800 compared to the 600 really worth it for the extra money? The other thing I think about is how do those extra features truly help the performance of the detector and make the 800 a better detector?. I guess what I'm mainly asking for is an honest opinion on the equinox 800 or the 600 or both.

Thanks.
TheButtonKing

Last edited:
Upvote 0

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both are excellent machines with the same depth capabilities. The advantage of the 800 over the 600 is mainly the extra adjustability for conditions. If all your hunting is done in mild conditions and you don't need single frequency gold modes, the 600 will work just fine. Wireless headphones are a wonderful option IMO, but, that can be adapted to the 600 if desired. Personally, I like having max adjustment options, that's why I got the 800.

OP
OP
T

TheButtonKing

Jun 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the input. I looked for several hours again at reviews after I posted this and I had finally decided on the 800 because I don’t have to think about not having those extra features If I got the 600. I saw several people saying it was a spectacular machine for them.Everyone was saying to get the 800 over the 600 in several reviews I saw. Not that the 600 is a bad machine but the 800 is better to buy for the extra features you get with it. I surely hope it pays off to get the 800. In fact, I’m really excited now because it’s supposed to be here in the next hour or so.

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You made an excellent choice. You won't believe how much better the Nox will be in salt water wet sand compared to your Max. The 12X15" coil is great for coverage there too, while still being sensitive to tiny targets. Except for around the fire rings, it's the only coil I use at the beach.

OP
OP
T

TheButtonKing

Jun 19, 2013
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ya I’ve used it twice now. Today and yesterday. When I first used it yesterday, I went out to a site behind my house that we’ve detected like crazy for about 6 years now and I went in there yesterday screwing around with the equinox trying to figure it out and I had always found wheat pennies and only like 3 IH pennies. I went in the spot that we’ve hit the hardest where the house stood and this house site is infested with iron. I wanted to see what it did in the iron and I pulled out a dang 1882 indian head Penny out of the part of the house site where we had detected the hardest. It was crazy too because it was the oldest Indian head ive probably ever found out there. I didn’t find much today but I’m not ever surprised anymore when I don’t find much out there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread