Nel Thunder for AT Max

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took the Max out today with a brand new Nel thunder coil. I’m very impressed with the depth and separation of this coil. I went into a trashy field and found 2 wheats and parts off pocket watch I think. The coil handled the iron great and could hear those wheats fine. I took it to my test garden and it hits every target without putting it in all metal. I was surprised about that because even the dues has trouble on the deep quarter but still dig tone. This Max reminds me so much of the AT Gold and if you know me that’s awesome. I had surgery about a month ago on my neck so didn’t detect long. I don’t think I will leave this coil on though because it’s to heavy for the types of detecting I do. For me it would be more of a specialty coil if I was looking for real deep stuff. I think the stock coil is to big if that tells you anything. I bought it to try it but I may list it on eBay and buy something else or just keep it for when my neck gets stronger or I do more cache, deep target hunting. If it wasn’t for the weight I could use this coil instead of the stock because in my opinion it blows the stock coil away on separation and def on depth. I have a decision to make either keep it and use it when needed or sell it and buy something else. Lol if your looking for a bigger coil that can separate good and don’t mind a little more weight then this coil will make you smile. I had the Nel Tornado on the AT Gold and it was awesome as well but the Thunder is even better. My Tornado sat most of the time because I used the 5x8 most of the time so it may just be better to sell to someone else who would use it more. What do you guys and gals think? Felt so good to detect today as it was in the 50s in NW Ohio and I’ve been cooped up since surgery. Good luck all.

Last edited:

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sounds like the surgery went well I also have the Max I'm going out with it sat and sun Thanks for the review and take it easy for a while Tommy

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
At Max,Xp deus,At pro, At gold, pro pointer, ace 350 bounty hunter. Lesche hand and t handle digging tools, Sask kustom digger, Garrett edge digger and Garrett retriever, Garrett classifier made into
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes went good just hurts a bit. Can't swing very long yet. Thanks and good luck this weekend.

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had dreams of max depth back in 2015 and added a nel 12" x 15" coil to my arsenal. I used it a lot when I first got it (for about 2 months). Had to use my make-shift harness when I swung it for over an hour. I mainly keep it around for field hunting or going over yards that had more than a few inches of fill added.. A harness will neutralize the weight if you want to use your big coil on a daily basis. My harness is made from an old set of Army LBE and 2 bungee cords.

20151105_191405.jpg 20151105_191436.jpg
20151105_191701.jpg 20151105_191948.jpg

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great idea I have a couple of those and a couple single point AR 15 slings I could make something work I'm sure. I think my recent surgery and weakness from that made the coil feel heavier than it should. The coil is really good at separation. The shape of the thunder helps this I'm sure. It does alot better than the stock coil.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Thanks for the report on the Nel thunder coil on the MAX. Could you run it on full sensitivity?

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I ran it up to full sens and it was mostly stable. There were distribution power lines running parallel to the field so I was getting some emi off those. I would say out in open area it would be real stable.

John-Edmonton

Silver Member
Mar 21, 2005
Canada
Detector(s) used
Garrett- Master Hunter CX,Infinium, 1350, 2500, ACE 150-water converted 250, GTA 500,1500 Scorpion, AT Pro
Yes I ran it up to full sens and it was mostly stable. There were distribution power lines running parallel to the field so I was getting some emi off those. I would say out in open area it would be real stable.

That is great news! Is it OK if I post your results on another forum? Permission please!:coins:

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that's fine John

SultansOfSwing

Dec 28, 2016
NH
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 - & ProPointer AT-------

Back Ups: AT Pro, Tesoro Royal Sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Thunder only weighs 2.3 oz more than the stock coil. In my opinion its the best option for depth increase vs weight increase.

Stock coil = 506 grams
Thunder coil = 570 grams

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Thunder only weighs 2.3 oz more than the stock coil. In my opinion its the best option for depth increase vs weight increase.

Stock coil = 506 grams
Thunder coil = 570 grams
I agree it's just I had surgery and I can't handle the weight yet of either coil for very long. I'm sure when I'm healed if I don't have a small coil on I would rather have the thunder on than the stock because of the benefits over the stock.

Whiplash016

Feb 4, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just bought a Max and Thunder coil, hit my spot for an hour before getting frustrated and went home. I started searching for others that might have the same problem and read a few posts describing exactly what my machine is doing. Its like I don’t even have a coil on my machine. A few grunts and blips, but mostly unresponsive. To save troubleshooting questions, I tried the factory reset, checked coil cable, reset again, ground balanced in multiple places with sensitivity down. The cable is secure, fresh batteries, headphones fully charged. Maybe I have one of those faulty machines. Garrett’s response said “the NEL coils are compatible with the AT Pro and Gold, but they cannot confirm the Max.”

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just bought a Max and Thunder coil, hit my spot for an hour before getting frustrated and went home. I started searching for others that might have the same problem and read a few posts describing exactly what my machine is doing. Its like I don’t even have a coil on my machine. A few grunts and blips, but mostly unresponsive. To save troubleshooting questions, I tried the factory reset, checked coil cable, reset again, ground balanced in multiple places with sensitivity down. The cable is secure, fresh batteries, headphones fully charged. Maybe I have one of those faulty machines. Garrett’s response said “the NEL coils are compatible with the AT Pro and Gold, but they cannot confirm the Max.”

I thought they were different coils for the pro vs the Max. A friend was using the NEL from his pro on his MAX when he first purchased one. He seemed very frustrated. He just bought a MAX specific coil.

Metal Headz

Sep 18, 2016
Pittsburgh, PA
Detector(s) used
Nox 800, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
NEL has a Thunder coil for each machine. For example, a Thunder coil made for the AT Pro won't be compatible with the Max. He needs to buy the Thunder Coil made for the Max.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes my thunder coil is for the AT Max only. Mine worked great. It beats the stock coil on separation and depth. Have you checked to see if factory coil does same thing? If so then I would say you have a bad coil because if mine weren't so heavy I would leave it on over the stock. I like smaller coils because almost all my hunting is in iron infested old home sites that are just farm fields now. Let us know and we will see if we can narrow it down and help you. Nother worse than a detector not work as it should. I wish I was close so I could put my thunder on your Max.

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just picked up a Cors fortune for the Max and if the weather was better I would give it a try. Like I said I like the small coils and this is the same as the NEL sharpshooter. It's 9.5x5.5. Should be great in the sites I hunt. I'll use the stock and thunder for special situations.

lookingharder

Feb 27, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master. Garrett AT Gold, Garrett Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the post. I to have a ATGold and have been wanting a larger coil. Your post just made the choice easier for me.

Bart@Big Boys Hobbies

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Jul 24, 2005
Moore Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Call for your Treasurenet special discount! Be sure to mention Tnet when you call!
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great idea I have a couple of those and a couple single point AR 15 slings I could make something work I'm sure. I think my recent surgery and weakness from that made the coil feel heavier than it should. The coil is really good at separation. The shape of the thunder helps this I'm sure. It does alot better than the stock coil.

Agreed! The NEL makes great coils. Especially the thunders!

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
â—Ź Minelab Manticore â—Ź Minelab CTX-3030 â—Ź Minelab Equinox 800 â—Ź Minelab Goldmaster 1000 â—Ź Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Is there a chart that shows the attributes of each Nel coil, and what they're best suited for?

OP
OP
Kodiak43351

Kodiak43351

Bronze Member
May 6, 2013
NW Ohio
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a chart that shows the attributes of each Nel coil, and what they're best suited for?
If you go to their website it will give a number rating 0-10 on 4 areas for each coil. Depth, separation, sensitivity to small targets and sensitivity to large targets. This is only charts I have seen. I will tell you the tornado was a great all around coil so the thunder should be as well. The sharpshooter is about the size of Garrett's 5x8 and I have one but haven't been out with it yet but air test are promising.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread