What's new

New Cellar , Crotal Bell "Spill" and LC

Gaspipe

Bronze Member
Joined
Sep 6, 2013
Messages
1,060
Reaction score
1,246
Golden Thread
0
Location
New England
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro; F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After 5 trips to find two sites my research showed were up on the mountain Maxie and me finally found them on a Christmas Day scouting trip.I had been within 100 yards of them several times but just didn't walk far enough. Wouldn't you know it but once I found them I see there is hiking path right between them! So Max and me finally got freed up at 2pm today and made the mile hike in with little hope of them not being pounded to death. I knew they weren't colonial as my research showed them settled between 1820-1830 and abandoned by 1900.Anyway I knew we'd only have about an hour to detect before we would have to head back before dark. Well to my amazement as my pics show at least the one hole we worked had likely not been detected( unless the person did so with his headphones turned off). The LC is 1824 and in better shape than the pics show. I love finding bells and they lay where they fell off the animal. Looking forward to going back but maybe I'll save it till spring. Any ID on the thin metal strip thing with the embossing would be appreciated.PS Max is my labradoodle ,digging partner, and best bud .
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0650.webp
    IMG_0650.webp
    31.5 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0651.webp
    IMG_0651.webp
    68.7 KB · Views: 147
  • IMG_0655.webp
    IMG_0655.webp
    22.5 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_0662.webp
    IMG_0662.webp
    13.1 KB · Views: 152
  • IMG_0663.webp
    IMG_0663.webp
    23.9 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_0658.webp
    IMG_0658.webp
    32.3 KB · Views: 158
  • IMG_0657.webp
    IMG_0657.webp
    24.4 KB · Views: 149
Upvote 42
Looks like a colonial bottle opener lol. You have to like the bells and a nice LC. Don't know if I could wait till spring to go back!
 
Love those bells. I was thrilled to find one! I would go back there for sure. Happy New Year to you and Max.
 
nice finds well done :thumbsup:
 
Looks like you found a set of sleigh bells. Nice going. Like the LC too.
 
Gotta love crotal bells. Looks like you found the whole herd.
 
Love to see your kind of effort rewarded like that. A very nice start to that site...happy new year!
 
Research paid off! Good finds!
 
That's a great hunt.
 
Nice find's! Your thin brass piece I think is possibly part of a pair of "give-away" chocolate tongs. (early 1900's). I would show you a picture, but I sold the last pair I had several year's ago.

Iowa Dale
 
Hey Ray!! Nice finds. What do you think that piece is next to the spoon? Can't really make out what it says. Pretty ornate. Glad to see ya posting......almost didn't recognize the name. Todd
 
Hey Ray!! Nice finds. What do you think that piece is next to the spoon? Can't really make out what it says. Pretty ornate. Glad to see ya posting......almost didn't recognize the name. Todd

Hey Todd no idea what it is. Hoping someone would help. It says Hallard or Mallard .
 
I doubt that place has been hunted either.
Yes that's quite a bell spill, a friend and I found a "patch of four this year. And out of 25-30 that I have only one has that bit of wire left on as one of your has.

The other bell I "believe" is from a church, I was told alter bell, and there would have been 2 or 3 of them in slightly different sizes. I found two of those in the same hole once.

With that many targets in an hour, I suspect there is much left to discover.
 
I doubt that place has been hunted either.
Yes that's quite a bell spill, a friend and I found a "patch of four this year. And out of 25-30 that I have only one has that bit of wire left on as one of your has.

The other bell I "believe" is from a church, I was told alter bell, and there would have been 2 or 3 of them in slightly different sizes. I found two of those in the same hole once.

With that many targets in an hour, I suspect there is much left to discover.

Thanks maybe I won't wait till spring. Any idea what the embossed object is?
 
Nice collection of bells, must of being the whole stringer of them.
 
I agree with the previous idea of chocolate tongs. Ladies have their little hot chocolate parties with white gloves on and did not want to get chocolate there precious little fingers.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom