What's new

New Minelab for an old dog recommendations please.

Digger54

Hero Member
🥇 Charter Member
Joined
Dec 6, 2010
Messages
659
Reaction score
892
Golden Thread
0
Location
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, Bandido II, Sovereign GT, Fisher1280X, Nautilus DMCIIB, Deus2, Manticore.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In the event I can get back into the hobby this fall looking for lightweight Minelab model recommendations to research. Looking for something to relic hunt, price not an issue.

I did own a Deus for a while but got rid of it when my health went tits up. I liked the Deus for it's light weight, but I also found the Deus to be quite aggravating with both pairing it up to coils and headphones as well as charging and holding charges. Will not buy another Deus. I'm not into trying to creating programs etc. More into simply ground balance the machine and hunt. Owned a Fisher F75 and liked it but got the Deus when trying to find something much lighter in weight.

How complex is the Manticore setting it up and ground balancing it? Other Minelab models to look at?
 
Manticore is a beast, but it’s not “simple.” If you don’t like messing with settings and programs, you’ll probably get annoyed with it. Ground balance is easy, but the machine itself has a learning curve.
If you want light and turn-on-and-go, get an Equinox 900. Noise cancel, ground balance, pick a mode, and hunt. That’s it. Great relic machine too. The 700 does basically the same thing with fewer bells and whistles.
Vanquish is even simpler, but it’s more of an entry-level unit.
Honestly, coming from an F75, the Equinox will feel familiar but lighter and way less hassle than the Deus.
 
Manticore is a beast, but it’s not “simple.” If you don’t like messing with settings and programs, you’ll probably get annoyed with it. Ground balance is easy, but the machine itself has a learning curve.
If you want light and turn-on-and-go, get an Equinox 900. Noise cancel, ground balance, pick a mode, and hunt. That’s it. Great relic machine too. The 700 does basically the same thing with fewer bells and whistles.
Vanquish is even simpler, but it’s more of an entry-level unit.
Honestly, coming from an F75, the Equinox will feel familiar but lighter and way less hassle than the Deus.
This is exactly the feedback I was looking for thanks!
 
Well, I'll muddy the waters for you a bit. I went from an Equinox to a Manticore and find the Manticore much easier to use. Settings are much more straightforward for me, and you can just pick a mode and go. All terrain general works very well for most of my sites, but the other modes are easily accessed if you desire. You will want to tweak your settings once you start getting the hang of the machine but certainly not a necessity.
 
If weight is a severe issue consider a XP Deus 2
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom