What's new

New to detecting, Any advice?

All the advice is sound. Personally, I like jewelry; specifically rings. I suggest, as the others have: 1. learn the machine 2. the best way to start this is at tot lots & schools because of easy digging and quick positive reinforcement of clad and an occasional goodie (ring, earring, etc). 3. learning to pinpoint will save you a lot of time in covering up too large holes. 4. ALWAYS leave it better than you found it...I have a lot of police and park friends because I always have a pocket filled with the nails, pop-tops, etc. I cleaned up. 4. Don't swing in happy face mode. I mean, shorter swings that don't tip up to the left and the right. 5. Slow down, it's not a race. Lots of great sounds are whispers. 6. Keep reading the forums, you can learn a ton from other hunters. 7. Grid is out. Good luck and happy hunting!
 
Thanks, i will! Snow should be gone by the end of the week. May get a bit of detecting around the house
 
What part of PA you from Bountyhunter? Im in Pittsburgh. I just started detecting in August. Ive learned alot in short time. Get to lnow your machine. It should work well. I started with a bh junior. It basically the same as yours but smaller. Found lots of coins with it dating back to1901. Thats still the oldest Ive found. Everyones advice here is good. I really like parks and my backyard was full of goodies. There is too much snow outside but should be gone by weekend. Im off all weekend so I will be out. Good luck to you.
 
Went out in my backyard today, it's been close to mid 40's all week so i figured i might as well go try. I found quite a few items. The first item i dug out was a AA batter. Pulled out a few nails and some other interesting finds. Not coins or jewelry. Lead? not sure what it may be. I cleaned all items off as good as possible and the item that may be lead is awful heavy for its size. I'll post pictures of my finds if i can figure out how. I may have found a flat pin. What is funny about that is when i came back into the house i watched an episode of the show called "Diggers" and one of the men pulled out a flat pin and this looks similar. smooth and flat on one side with a hole in the middle and on the other side has threads its a flat object. If someone can help me figure out how to put pictures up i will post my finds, Thanks all!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom