What's new

New to fossil hunting...please help with this...

wildcatman71

Hero Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2007
Messages
675
Reaction score
5
Golden Thread
0
Location
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX 300, Vintage Tesoro Sidewinder
Hey.....I have slowed down metal detecting this year and have been spending more time arrowhead and fossil hunting. I found this and a whole lot more similar kind of things at my fathers in Caldwell County, KY. It looks like a backbone or something to me....but I really dont know. See the back side of this...it is full of neat things....there are some I have found that are full of this stuff and almost 2 feet long. I appreciate any thoughts....thanks!! Also.....just curious if this sort of thing has any value other than just being neat to find.
 

Attachments

  • 001.webp
    001.webp
    38.9 KB · Views: 324
  • 002.webp
    002.webp
    53.3 KB · Views: 300
  • 003.webp
    003.webp
    46.4 KB · Views: 289
  • 004.webp
    004.webp
    52.1 KB · Views: 309
Could be the spirally-branching colonial bryozoan, Archimedes. These are sometimes abundant in Mississippian limestone.

Your limestone might be characterized as "encrinal limestone" because of all the crinoid parts. Low collector interest unless you have the crinoid head.
 
I looked up the crinoid head...very interesting. As I said, I am very new to this....what part of this rock is what you said looked like part of a crinoid head? Thanks
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom