New To Metal Detecting But Not Dowsing

Coasty

Feb 2, 2010
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter 505
Almost 40 years ago I saw my future father-in-law dows for water. I actually saw an apple branch twist the bark off in his hand. I tries it and I just looked stupid walking around with an apple wishbone in the air. Then he came out with 2 bent coat hangers and said try this. I walked the property they crossed he said stop and came over with the apple branch which did not bend. We got out shovels and abour 2 feet down we dug up an old plow blade. Since then I have been able to hone my skills based on length of the coat hangers. I was in the Coast Guard for 21.5 years. I actually found unexpolded ordance on several military bases. This was confirmed by ground penetrating radar. Even after our utility locator dos their job I still walk the area and find usually abandonded systems. I even can find the leach fields for PVC pipe septic systems. I never thout of using dowsing as an addition to metal detecting until I started checking out forums. My neighbors have asked me to locate their CATV lines and I have on many occasions. Now I am going to try dowsing for relics this has lots of possibilities.

EddieR

Mar 1, 2005
Madisonville, TN
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, MXT,..Tesoro Vaquero, Silver UMax, Compadre, Tejon,..BH LandRanger..Pioneer 505.. GC1023..Teknetics Delta 4000, Gamma 6000, Eurotek Pro..Fisher F2, F4, F5, F70
That's awesome! I know dowsing is controversial, but I have seen people do it successfully for years. Good luck, and keep us updated. :icon_thumleft:

aarthrj3811

Gold Member
Apr 1, 2004
Northern Nevada
Detector(s) used
Dowsing Rods and a Ranger Tell Examiner
Hey Coasty…Welcome to the mad house….Finding metals is very exciting. If you have questions we will try to answer them….Art

jimmygoat

Dec 1, 2009
Northern Cal.
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D-5 inch dredge
Coasty, When you found unexploded ordinance, is that what you were looking for? Jimmygoat

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread