New to VA - Looking for partners and place to hunt.

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
Hello,

I just moved up to VA from LA, Currently living in Fredericksburg. Looking for people to hunt with and places to hunt. I will travel, South is better but will not limit myself to one direction. I am working on site around here but being new it slow going. I been around this site for a while and you can check me out. I went to LBH and I hunted with Tensas.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beep,

Welcome to VA. I'm in NW Fairfax county near Dulles airport.

We are heading south to Surry county next weekend for an organized hunt (see Pipsico thread). It's about a 3 hour drive but well worth the trip. Nice folks and nice digs. Only costs $1 per night to camp.

A couple of us hunt in Loudoun county (north of Fairfax). You are welcome to go with us.

I know there are a couple of guys in Alexandria as well as in your area. Hopefully someone down there will step up.

DCMatt

BartlettJ64

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2006
Spotsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XL Pro
Just to keep this fresh I am back in Fredericksburg and would love to find people to hunt with and learn. Organized hunt would be awesome and weekends are about the only time I would get a chance to play a bit. I need to learn a bit about how to use the metal detector as well...

Thanks!!!

furmanorange

Dec 22, 2008
Gordonsville , Va
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1000
BarlettJ64 I live out near Lake Anna in Orange you are welcome to come with me i have a friend with some land near Mine Run Road he said i can hunt their anytime. just let me know (Susan)

OP
OP
La Beep

La Beep

Feb 15, 2008
NE Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, XLT Fisher's CZ5 Garretts GTA 1000
furmanorange said:
BarlettJ64 I live out near Lake Anna in Orange you are welcome to come with me i have a friend with some land near Mine Run Road he said i can hunt their anytime. just let me know (Susan)
furmanorange I now live just outside Flat Run on RT3

RJH02

Dec 30, 2007
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Silver umax w/ 7in Deep Search Wide scan coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I want to go too ! I was on mine run rd for a job not to long ago. That has to be a great area.

BartlettJ64

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2006
Spotsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XL Pro
OK, this is awesome. I need to get my manual out and learn how to use my White XL Pro. I need a detector that just goes..... I am a man of convince and don't have time to keep adjusting things. Anyone have a suggestion? Fredericksburg area, easy to use with little adjustments, relic hunting mainly. Thinking Minelab or Tereso but I am open to anyones thoughts. Look forward to meeting some of you as well. Perhaps we can get DCMAtt down here as well, I have been cooresponding with him a bit as well.

Thanks all!

BartlettJ64

Tenderfoot
Jan 27, 2006
Spotsylvania
Detector(s) used
Whites XL Pro
Interesting enough Relichunter, I am in Charlottesville at least a couple of times a month. Usually its a weekday afternoon that I would be free. Let me know if you are around sometime and I will see what I can do. Hope to see you all in Fredericksburg some day.

Bart

Shenandoah Digger

Nov 22, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Tried almost everything made since the late 60's
Love to join the hunt as well. I live outside Manassas and have some areas to hunt, or can travel a ways to hunt with everyone else. The more the merrier.

JasonB

Feb 5, 2008
Alexandria, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Bartlett,

A Tesoro Silver or an ACE 250 are good 'turn on and go' machines in my opinion. Both are affordable and will find treasure.

JasonB

BobVA

Tenderfoot
Dec 24, 2009
Woodbridge, VA
Detector(s) used
White's MXT (950, 8X14, 6X10 & 4X6 Coils), Garrett Sea Hunter Mark II, Bounty Hunter 505 Pro
I'm in the Woodbridge (Dale City) area. New to the hobby, but looking for others to hunt with when the weather gets better. I do have permission to hunt a couple of sites.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
BobVA said:
I'm in the Woodbridge (Dale City) area. New to the hobby, but looking for others to hunt with when the weather gets better. I do have permission to hunt a couple of sites.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Respond here or send me a PM about when and where we can hunt. There are 5 or 6 of us that get together. 3 of us in the Herndon/Reston area, 2 in Alexandria, and one in Fredericksburg. They're all nice guys - even the 2 Marines... ;D

Let's dig some holes!

DCMatt

Tic2305

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Alexandria, Va
DCMatt said:
BobVA said:

Hey Bob,

Thanks for the reply. Respond here or send me a PM about when and where we can hunt. There are 5 or 6 of us that get together. 3 of us in the Herndon/Reston area, 2 in Alexandria, and one in Fredericksburg. They're all nice guys - even the 2 Marines... ;D

Let's dig some holes!

DCMatt

I live in Alexandria and am brand new at this. I am looking for somewhere to hunt and practicew with me Ace 150. Anyway you might be able to point me in the right direction?

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
For La beep BobVA and Tic2305 and any others new to the hobby. If you guys see a spot being cleared for development hit it if possible. Don't ask if anything is there just dig it. Fredericksburg, Alexandria and Woodbridge are all great areas for everything from colonial period to civil war and later items. Actually anywhere along the rt 1 corridor is good. Good luck guys.

Tic2305

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2010
Alexandria, Va
vayank54 said:
For La beep BobVA and Tic2305 and any others new to the hobby. If you guys see a spot being cleared for development hit it if possible. Don't ask if anything is there just dig it. Fredericksburg, Alexandria and Woodbridge are all great areas for everything from colonial period to civil war and later items. Actually anywhere along the rt 1 corridor is good. Good luck guys.

This may be a dumb question, but are there laws that may conflict with that? Or is this the kind of thing where you just go for it and deal with whatever happens later?
Thanks.

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
It's best to ask someone but there usually isn't any problem if you wait until they are done working. Sometimes they will tell you no because of insurance reasons. If it isn't posted and there are no fences and they don't want anyone there they will usually just ask you to leave. The only place I know of where there would be a problem might be Manassas Park. They had a law against MDing and you couldn't even dig your own property. I know a guy who was arrested and had to go to court for diggin his own lot and I was detained for digging on property I had permission to be on. The only way I didn't get into trouble was I knew the police captain.

The Descriminator

Jul 12, 2012
Charlotte, NC
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, Whites 5900Di Pro, Fisher Cz6a
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bartlett, I feel ya about "turn on and go" detectors. Unfortunately depending on where you go in VA you have to at least adjust your ground balance often unless you have a unit that has auto balancing. I don't know if you've seen the show "American Diggers" (on Spike TV), but one of the Characters "Bob", owns centerville electronics in Manassas VA and his suggestion to me for all out relic hunting is the Whites MXT. While it may not be the best for coinshooting and certainly doesn't have the bells and whistles that the V3 series do, it's a very user friendly detector. Hope that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions