What's new

newbie looking for insight

moorebomb

Tenderfoot
Joined
Apr 2, 2009
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
I just stumbled upon this site and started looking around, and instantly have got the itch, to get into treasure hunting on the weekends. The thing is I have no idea where to start, so i was wondering if anyone can help me out a little bit with where to start, like type of metal detector to start with would be the first thing i would like to know, then anything else i should know would be cool to. please let me know your thoughts, i would really appreciate it.

thank you,

Alan
 
Start off with the cheapest detector you can find. I've seen people buy really expensive machines only to find that it sits in their closet 364 days a year. This hobby isn't for everyone. That's why I say buy a cheapo, If it works out then upgrade later on. For sites practice in your yard then move on to school yards, parks etc.. Be SMART when you dig holes always fill them back up. Our hobby is in JEOPARDTY in some States because of some carelessness M.D'est not properly filling in there digs. It's a rewarding hobby take care and good luck.
Nova.
 
let the soil in the area you plan to hunt (your area) be your guide in choice of detectors -- most spots can be hunted by cheaper preset type ground balance machines * (most under 300 dollar machines) without any big issues --however there are spots and places that due to high mineral content that these machine are next to useless in --- for these spots you will need to have a machine that can be "ground balanced" manually -- presets machine are set up to handle a "range" of soil conditions -- however some places fall out of that zone --beaches and certain high mineral areas for exsample * ---so you have to redail in whats the normal "background" level of minerals so the machines doesn't freak out (beep - beep --beep) since it will "see" the high mineral levels as a wall of metal --thus its "blinded"--- if you have a "preset " type detecting machine all you can do is cut the power /sen level down bit by bit and hope it smooths out --but doing this causes some depth loss --- (and in some seriously bad mineral places the sen/ power down adjustment simply will not work) popular models for beginners are the ace 250 *a preset model and the bounty hunter "land star" -- one of the cheapest manually adjustible gound balance models --

as far as where to hunt to practice honing ypur skills --back yard and tot lots -- once your comfertible with your machine -- try doing a bit of local history /research and try for older silver coins --look for early 1960's and before gathering places. where local fairs were ect --old homesteads and such
 
Go to wally world or radio shack and get a beginner BH, learn it practice it and stick with it. If and when you get good enough with one of those to make good finds occasionally then invest in something bigger and better. Just an FYI Research is more important than the machine or even the operator. Get the best machine and put it in the hands of the best detectorist and put him/her on a spot where no good targets are to be found and they'll find no good targets. Take a complete newb like yourself given the cheapest low end MD that works and put them Him/Her on a really good site loaded with targets and they'll come home loaded with really good targets.
 
Head over to the states forum and find a local mentor! Das Pronto! Take it from there!
 
Welcome to the wonderful world of Treasure Hunting! :icon_sunny:

Looks like you already have some good advice so you are on your way.
Have fun and read as many posts about the subject as you can.
Sure it's a bit overwhelming at first but you will learn every thing you need to know and even a few things you don't :D

It's all right here on T-Net :thumbsup:
 
Where are you from what state. What kind of soil is there. I would say start off with a Bounty Hunter or a Ace 250 as both of these are good first machines. See if you like this hobby and how much you will get out and detect. It would be a waste of money buying a top dollar machine and you get discourage in your finds and lose intest. But if you start low and you really in joy the hobby you can always upgrade in a couple of years and then you would still have a back up machine. I wish you luck in this hobby. If you are close to the OH, MI, and IN lines. I would be glad to get with you on a couple of hunts as I have a extra machine and you could try out both of them and you can see if what you like in the lines of what I have.......Matt
 
I'LL SAY THIS,
YOU'VE STARTED ON THE RIGHT FOOT BY STARTING HERE.
YOU'LL GET THE MOST UP TO DATE INFORMATION MADE BY FELLOW TREASURE HUNTERS LIKE YOUR SELF
BUY A PAWN SHOP SPEACIAL
GET A DIGGING TOOL
FIND A SPOT IN YOUR BACK YARD, BURY SOME POCKET CHANGE AND REFIND IT, GET TO KNOW THE UNIT...
FIND OTHER PROSPECTIVE PLACES AROUND YOUR NECK OF THE WOODS AND "PERMISSION" TO HUNT
AND BY NOW YOUR A ADDICT FOR THE TREASURE- WELCOME TO OUR WORLD

MY 2 CENTS WORTH.....

MLHUDSON
 
I'm a born-again newbie. I had started the hobby about 10 years but stopped and haven't been involved in a long time. I'm interested in getting back into it and just resubscribed to Western & Eastern Treasures, having not read it in about 10 years. I'm going to dust off my detector and hopefully will still work fine.
 
I started out with a BH and I loved it. Of course, I like just coin shooting in playgrounds and stuff. Do not try to go expensive right out the gate, and be patient. IT takes time to learn your machine, no matter what it is.
 
Check out the classifieds on this forum for a used unit. I wouldn't go to cheap you may get frustrated with the machine and quit.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom