What's new

Newby ?? re:caribbean beaches and thier laws

bEACHbUM2b

Tenderfoot
Joined
Jan 2, 2012
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
1st I want to say 'Thank you' for all the great stuff you guys post here. I haven't begun to even scratch the surface of what all is on here.
My main question above has to do with where we are legally allowed to go on some of the island beaches in the Carib. Are some countries more difficult and require permits? I'm looking at retirement in 20 months and have decided I need this beach combing, treasure hunting lifestyle to keep from going stir crazy.
What about Puerto Rico, VI's, or Dominica? Any one with local knowledge?
Thanks again and I hope to be sharing some great finds soon. Or, at least some good stories.
 
Upvote 0
I agree with Allan - Puerto Rico has lots of great beaches, no special rules, (except school yards) and perfect weather year round.

Good luck
 
bEACHbUM2b said:
1st I want to say 'Thank you' for all the great stuff you guys post here. I haven't begun to even scratch the surface of what all is on here.
My main question above has to do with where we are legally allowed to go on some of the island beaches in the Carib. Are some countries more difficult and require permits? I'm looking at retirement in 20 months and have decided I need this beach combing, treasure hunting lifestyle to keep from going stir crazy.
What about Puerto Rico, VI's, or Dominica? Any one with local knowledge?
Thanks again and I hope to be sharing some great finds soon. Or, at least some good stories.

I would also like to know this.
 
Thanks Alan and Steve. I am interested in PR and think I'll start some travel searching for a trip down there.
I would guess that the preserves around the island, like the turtle nesting sites would be off limits.
What about the river areas in the mountains? A little detecting, a little panning maybe?
 
I don't think you are allowed to do certain things like pan or detect or mine in places lke El Yunque or federal lands but you would have to look around for specifics. I have some material mostly english and a bunch of links if you want me to post a few on the History of Pr and Confressi Etc here is an easy read with some info http://books.google.com.pr/books?id...ir_esc=y#v=onepage&q=ship puerto rico&f=false
 
...here is an easy read with some info ...
Man if that's what you call an easy read I want to see what you think of as "heavy", lol.
I appreciate the link and I will go back to it and glean some more history.
I noted that some of the mines were in the Toa valley and wondered if some detecting might be worthwhile
around there. I'm sure it's a huge swath and not likely to appear on any treasure maps, but still.

What about the sand bars down south? Say outside LaPaguerra (sp?).
 
There are tourist beachs the whole way around the island ,but gold jewelry is big here with the locals , the beachs are pretty much all open and there are few people to compete with, no elbowing for room on most :hello2: , shipwrecks are around the island ,there also a few Spanish American war sites , mona island is another place to look into. If it just coin shooting/jewelry hunting there are sand parking lots everywhere , I have one local spot that is always paying for the gas and lunch (on the beach with a cold beer) and really the island is only 100 miles long and 35 miles wide so you can hunt anywhere on the island within a few hours and still be home for dinner. If you come you will find something, wear suntan lotion and a hat bring good sunglasses and insect repellant is a good idea.Had my coldest night yet in 4 years and it was 62 and few days will it get to 100, usually 80s . Good Luck and let me know when you are coming and maybe we can get out.
 
That sounds awesome. Congrats! On the retirement that is my plan for sure if I ever retire. Would love to hear more about your finds once you get out there a bit. Good luck.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom