No audio on Whites MXT??

Brenny543

Jun 17, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello!
I recently purchased a second hand Whites MXT. After powering it on I quickly realized that the external speaker must be broken. I than tried the headphones and there is audio, however it is very quiet. The threshold hum is barely audible when it is turned all the way up. Anyone have any idea what's wrong with it? Or how to go about fixing it? I sent Whites an email, havnt heard back yet but read online that they charge quite a bit to just get it looked at. Really hoping I won't have to get rid of it... it would be a big step up from my ace 250. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
- Brennan

BobM

Feb 7, 2016
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a similar issue with mine, I found the short term fix was to pull the battery pack for 5 minutes, then put back in and turn on.
But eventually I sent it in, I think it was $109 bucks to fix a broken switch from taking it to AZ with me on an airplane, and fix the no sound issue.

airscapes

Nov 13, 2013
Philadelphia PA
Detector(s) used
DFX 950, U13,6"Exc & 4x6 Coils, Coinmaster GT 4x6 & NEL Hunter coil, TRX Pin Pointer, CZE-T200 FM Transmitter, Sangean DT-400W and ER6i in-ears.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If it is only that one target may be a huge ferrous item. .. if you walk away from the area, toss your digger on the ground and pinpoint over does it work? If so it is something really huge.. plate steel or hubcap.. Sewer pipe etc..

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
White's don't usually charge much for repairs and they work on even real old units, I wouldn't give up on the MXT it's a great detector that's as deep as any high end machine with the right coil. I can get dimes at 10"+ all day long with a few dimes being at a full 12" before. HH

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Don't know what you have invested at this point, but my experience with the MXT makes me suggest you hold on to it even if it is a bit spendy to have it fixed. As Wingmaster said, "It's a great detector".
luvsdux

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread