All Treasure Hunting
My equinox eliminates bottle caps.

Matt

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
In the US it is easy to ID bottle caps with the Simplex.
Use the beach mode to rule out bottle caps:

Swing the center of the Simplex coil over a coin in beach mode you will get a steady digital readout
Swing the toe of the Simplex coil over that same coin in the beach mode you will get the same steady digital read out.

But on a bottle cap, rusted or not rusted when you swing the center of the coil over the bottle cap you get a steady tone.
Swing the toe of the Simplex coil over the same bottle cap and you w ill get a jumpy and often lower and off my 5 - 10 digits in the digital readout.

easy to do switching from filed or park mode to beach mode and reswing the coil using the toe of the coil.

keep in mind that his was tested at home on surface targets. Buried targets might react differently. I will test that later in the week and get back to you.

GeoW

Jul 12, 2005
Coastal Georgia
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II, XP Deus, XP ORX, Nautilus DMCllBa, Troy X5 Shadow, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Outlaw
You're about to put a kink in Minelab Matts agenda!

g

pulltabfelix

Bronze Member
Jan 29, 2018
North Atlanta
Detector(s) used
Currently have CTX3030 and Vanquish 440.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
well after my first hunt in a trashy park, I find I was digging more bottle caps than I liked simplex. Seems like I need to improve on my toe method in the field. But I has having so much fun with a new detector, I wasn't concentrating that much. Tomorrow I will enter in my coin discrim notches and hunt the same area and see how that goes. This park is super trashy. I mean 10 - 20 pieces of metal junk ( you know the usual suspects) ever couple of feet. Hard to find a clear area to even ground balance.

so far loving the simplex and don't see any real negatives. But yes, my 800 does eliminate bottle caps if you set it up correctly. But will be cautions of doing too much head to head comparisons so as not to upset anyone. I figure I am pretty unbiased since I own only two detectors. Nox 800 and simplex. A nice little stable for me.

also I am hearing the scratchy sound at the end of a swing, and will have to pay attention to this. Does this mean a junk target? I notice coins don't have this scratchy sound.

RustyGold

Gold Member
Aug 16, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
XP Deus I & II
Xterra Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it does indicate a junk target but, as you know, everything changes depending on orientation and ground.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread