What's new

now THIS is how you do it!

unclemac

Gold Member
Joined
Oct 12, 2011
Messages
8,021
Reaction score
9,210
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

one heck of a back yard find!

1747339597318.webp
 
That's wild. All I've ever dug up in my garden is rocks.
 
my garden is nothing but rocks.... all glacial till with a thin coat of dirt... ever try to use a post hole digger on that?
 
my garden is nothing but rocks.... all glacial till with a thin coat of dirt... ever try to use a post hole digger on that?
I know that feeling. At one of the places where I used to live, the only way to dig anything by hand was with a pickaxe and a crowbar. As a family member put it one time, "that's why the good Lord gave us hydraulics."
 
Awesome, a memory those kids will never forget!
 

one heck of a back yard find!

View attachment 2208020
I found a spot like that one time The bottles where not as old as many that are pictured in the photo However I dug several hundred items that I took home In some cases I had numerous bottles of the same item The oldest old dated to the 1860s an it was an open pontil I picked up at least 200 old glass items plus many relics such as children toys farm use items like horse harness buckles and so on I was digging strictly by hand and it was brutal hot summer I dealing with bumble bees and deer ticks The ones that spread Lyme disease On one morning dig i removed more than 30 ticks that where crawling on me I ended up getting sick which was unrelated to the digging but I was in the process of arranging to get a skid loader or trak hoe to speed up the project I t was the most awesome find I ever located and it was in the middle of a 45 acre hay field The only clue that there was a major dump there was a number ground hog holes with piles of broken bottle that indicated the stuff unground in that spot was from the 1870 through 1930 time frame Due to the Dump being located in a hayfield I spent 6 OR 7 hours walking the field That of course was after getting permission from the new owner Now I was ready to tear into my new bottles for me to do that I needed to clear a few small areas of 6 foot Switchgrass has several uses One it is good forage for wildlife and livestock It is both cover and feed for such birds as pheasants quail turkey and ducks And it provides nesting locations for many ground nesting songbirds And everyone should know ground nesting birds are some of the most rapidly disappearing birds in the US Red Winged Blackbirds bob o link Henslow Sparrows are just a few of a very expansive group of birds losing space to raise their young Sorry I GOT OFF TRACK BUT HABITAT LOSS AND HOW IT IS A HARMFUL PROBLEM TO ALL OF SOCIETY it IS NOT JUST ABOUT THE BIRDS AND BEES IT IS A HUGE IMPACTFUL SITUATION IF ALLOWED TO GO UNSLOVED WILL END UP BECOMING A GLOBAL CRISIS Anyway switchgrass is planted to help control l ground water erosion the plant has a massive root system So digging in it's roots can be like hard work I ended up havingto stop digging because of health problems And I never finishedButas you see in thr picturs it was fubn tto located so many to me great items
 
I found a bottle dump like this. There’s still plenty to dig up.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom