What's new

Now were stuck with them

thurmownator

Bronze Member
Joined
Dec 25, 2006
Messages
1,894
Reaction score
66
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
Other
Now we're stuck with them

As we've all found foreign coin while CRHing, you would either keep it, throw it away or (perhaps) save it for when you might take a trip to that country.

Well, in the case of Costa Rica, the latter option is no longer an option.

http://www.ticotimes.net/dailyarchive/2010_04/0401101.cfm

Oh well, guess I'll keep one of each denomination, of each date, and get rid of the rest.

(or will they become valuable some day; now that they've been withdrawn). 8)



Not to fear. It's only the larger silver-colored 5, 10 & 20 colon coins being withdrawn; to make way for the new smaller, gold-colored versions.
 
Upvote 0
Re: Now we're stuck with them

So you have a coin, that is basically worthless, of value only to collectors, belonging to a country whose currency is valued at literally a 500 colones to a dollar, and you lament the fact that you cannot spend 500 plus dollars to go down there and spend this coin?

I guess I don't understand. It would literally take 27 (actually almost 28) 20 colones coins to equal a single US dollar.

Finding a foreign coin is for the collector in me. I have no illusions that I will ever have the money or time to go to each country I ever found a coin from so I can "release" that coin back into its home country.

The fact that they are discontinued in their home country only makes them worth more.
 
Re: Now we're stuck with them

I save them all and seperate them. At least with some countries somebody will visit eventually visit one of them.

Another idea i have is to sell a box of canadian coins on feebay or craigs list. If some one with GOOD feedback [the advantage of feebay] from say canada wanted to sell american coins at say 75% face value i would buy them.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom