SlateBeltDigger

Sep 30, 2020
Bangor, PA
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Most pinpointer functions are all metal, non-motion which means if there's iron or silver where you are pinpointing it will target it. I got away from using the pinpoint function altogether by using the wiggle method with my DD coil. It saves time and in my humble opinion does a better job of telling me where to start my plug. Others may comment who are more familiar with the Nox line but I wanted to throw this out there.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for posting a stupid question. I think that I know the answer but here goes:

When in pinpoint mode, is the machine indicating a target for only the VDI number displayed?

Thanks in advance.
dts
Not necessarily. You'll get a better I.D. swinging over the target from different directions. Once you push the pin point button, forget about what I.D. number it says on the display.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank you, SlateBeltDigger and cudamark. You’ve confirmed what I suspected. I’ve also noticed that Gary Drayton (yes, I watch Oak Island) tips his coil sideways to pinpoint and uses his pinpointer once the plug has been dug.
dts

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for posting a stupid question. I think that I know the answer but here goes:

When in pinpoint mode, is the machine indicating a target for only the VDI number displayed?

Thanks in advance.
dts

First, I would to think that there are no stupid questions on T-Net since I MAY have asked a couple at one time myself but am really not sure etc etc....Having said that, when I get a signal, I then do a 180 and sweep a few times again marking a X by sight, figure the center of X as point of target, when down on knee I use a pinpointer to further check for a pinpoint and really zero it in. If no response, a good sign, target is deeper then pointer can reach from the surface. In pinpoint mode, go by sound, just as the VDI numbers for me are a reference only, I detect more by sound.

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for your input, sprailroad. I’m under a foot of snow right now, so it may be awhile before I get to practice.
dts

midalake

Bronze Member
Aug 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, SlateBeltDigger and cudamark. You’ve confirmed what I suspected. I’ve also noticed that Gary Drayton (yes, I watch Oak Island) tips his coil sideways to pinpoint and uses his pinpointer once the plug has been dug.
dts

The only reason to tip you coil sideways would be to better center ferrous targets that are not very deep. As almost all ferrous targets double ring they can be difficult to put under the coil in the same spot, Thus tipping your coil to pinpoint.

Non-ferrous targets are very easy to put under the coil in the same spot.

Dave

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With most PI machines it can help pin pointing by tilting the coil to find the target since those machines don't have a pin point mode.....at least none I'm aware of, but, I haven't used them all yet! I've seen him do it with his CTX too though. Not sure why....maybe habit? They pin point nicely and have a fairly good depth gauge. Keep in mind that the show is heavily edited and what you see is only a fraction of what they've filmed. They probably already know what the target is before they show us the "live dig".

OP
OP
dts52

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks midalake and again, cudamark. Now that I think of it, Gary tips his coil to point to the spot he wants dug* so I may have been misinterpreting exactly what he was doing. The show is obviously highly edited, now could a single detectorist cover all that ground? And every time Gary finds something cool, they stop detecting to go off and show their find! Very frustrating to watch. Not Oak Island but another MDing reality program on TV was so fake that I could see several obvious spots which had already been dug and refilled before they produced the big “find”.
HH
dts

* I need to find a digger to follow me around. It sure would alleviate the pain associated with digging all those pull tabs and square nails!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread