KSdiver

Sep 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
White's, Garrett, Minelab, Nokta Makro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Everyone,
I'm seriously thinking about pulling the trigger and buying a Minelab Equinox, but I've been reading allot of horror stories concerning the coil ears breaking, even after a few months of use. I do allot of detecting in the woods along trails and canal beds. I'm not rough on my machines, but I do get the occasional bump against a tree or other obstacles. Has Minelab made any attempt to remedy this issue? Should this be a consideration for my future purchase? Let me know your thoughts - have you had your coil break? What did you do to prevent or remedy the problem?

Thanks in advance fellow diggers!

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know of no design changes but the price is supposed to be going up.

OP
OP
KSdiver

KSdiver

Sep 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've actually sent an email to Minelab Corporate regarding the question and quality of their coils.
I would hope to receive a response to my inquiry as it may sway my purchasing decision.

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Personally i havent had a coil ear issue , but i am very easy on my machines and take good care of them...i do plan on getting a couple ear stiffeners as my warrantee gets close to being over in november ...quite a few have drown also..i will be doing the shoe goo treatment at the same time...just in case i ever do dunk the machine ..the machine is well worth the money tho...especially from the right vender...the 600 is anyway ..i didnt need the extra settings, headphone thing the 800 comes with .. and nugget program ... if you dont carelessly swing it i to trees and rocks you shouldnt have a problem...i wouldnt hesitate on another equinox as a backup .. I just love my equinox more than the countless other machines ive had in last 10 yrs

OP
OP
KSdiver

KSdiver

Sep 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Personally i havent had a coil ear issue , but i am very easy on my machines and take good care of them...i do plan on getting a couple ear stiffeners as my warrantee gets close to being over in november ...quite a few have drown also..i will be doing the shoe goo treatment at the same time...just in case i ever do dunk the machine ..the machine is well worth the money tho...especially from the right vender...the 600 is anyway ..i didnt need the extra settings, headphone thing the 800 comes with .. and nugget program ... if you dont carelessly swing it i to trees and rocks you shouldnt have a problem...i wouldnt hesitate on another equinox as a backup .. I just love my equinox more than the countless other machines ive had in last 10 yrs

Thanks Norwichnut - I appreciate the info. I too will probably go with the 600 as I do mostly coin and relic hunting.
I've read so many good reviews about the Equinox, the coil ear issue just seems like something that Minelab R&D should remedy for the consumer.

austin_luker

Oct 17, 2014
New York State
Detector(s) used
XP Dues (AKA: EMI Chaser/Dog fence lover)
9" X35 - 11" LF - HF Elliptical - MI6 -
Garrett AT Pro with Neil Storm Coil, NEL SharpShooter and Garrett Pro PinPointer AT (Carrot)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've actually sent an email to Minelab Corporate regarding the question and quality of their coils.
I would hope to receive a response to my inquiry as it may sway my purchasing decision.

I'm sure Minelab will tell you they have super strong coil ears and zero issues.
That's the truth with my machine and I am rough on my NOX! Beating it on rocks (gotta get close to those foundations) I have had zero issues even in freezing weather. Just buy 1 and if the ears break get another... That's life my friend

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had no problem with that. I've had my 800 for some time now, only thing I've bought is a 5 pack of English language screen protectors, and now a control box cover, I've had so much mud on it (the control box) I could not see the buttons, just knew where they were, the cover might be a good thing. I have seen coil ear stiffeners? I might try a set, also thought about a extra lower rod just for the 6" coil, instead of always to loosen and tighten the ears of the coils that with time COULD put a strain on them I would guess, I did that for the Safari and it worked out great, since I would change coils so often. Good detector, pretty much rolled the last three detectors into one. X-Terra 70, AT Pro & the Safari. All into the EQ 800.

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
I’ve bumped more than my fair share of trees and stones. Nothing really forceful, just your typical oops. No issues with the coil ears. I did snap the coil ears on my Nokta Makro years back - sent them pictures, took full responsibility explaining that I had bumped the coil numerous times. They replaced the coil, free of charge, in a few days. Hope this helps.
HH
dts

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are several coil ear strengthening devices out there. I just made some thin shims to put under the rubber washers to make the fit to the coil ears a bit tighter. So far it is working fine. It is my understanding that overtightening leads to breaking the ears if the fit is a bit loose.

Dirt Duke

Aug 26, 2018
Detector(s) used
ATPro
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My coil ears broke last April. I had a coil ear stiffener on at the time. It had been on for several months. When I put it on it was hard to get the coil bolt through all the holes so there was definitely some stress on the coil ears. I suspect that's why they broke. I sent the coil back to the guys at the Ft Bedford repair shop. The coil was quickly replaced. I asked the repair guy why so many of us were having this issue. He said they think it's happening when people over tighten the coil bolt which causes stress on the coil ears. I did not put the coil ear stiffener on the replacement coil and do not over tighten the coil bolt. That's working fine, no problems. You may want to shim or replace the rubber washers when they wear down. BTW the replacement coil came with a new coil cover, new rubber washers and a new coil bolt. If you ever have to send your coil in for warranty replacement just send the coil and keep the other parts.

bologna321

Bronze Member
Aug 26, 2017
SW MO
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Garrett Ultra GTA 500, Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm almost exclusively in the woods with my 600 and I'm very hard on it. No issues on either coil. I even fell a month ago and the detector took the brunt of the fall, it broke the shaft. Minelab replaced the part that broke, all I had to do was send them a photo.

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KSdiver I'll jump in and add that I've been using my Equinox 800 for...almost 2 years now? and nothing has broken - except that in the first 90 days my son "set the detector down" = dropped it and the power button happened to hit a rock, causing the power button to stick and not work. I sent the control module to Minelab service and they replaced it no-cost as a "manufacturing defect". I was so impressed with that and would highly recommend Minelab. I've had no trouble with the coil ears themselves (on both 11" and 6" coils), and I would strongly suggest that you not worry about that as a reason to either get or not get the Equinox.
I will suggest that if you can spend the extra money on the 800, spend it. The reasons are: 800 gives you extra granularity in the settings that you can adjust, and if you watch youtube videos of others using Equnioxes they're mostly using the 800 so when they describe their settings you'll want to be able to match them. Also even though you may not think you want the earphones, it's worth having them as a backup or for certain situations. Don't get me wrong, the 600 is perfectly fine, but there may come a day when you find a limitation and wish you had the 800. The Equinox 800 might be the detector that you use for the next 10 years - why not get the top of the line?

- Brian

KREQ600

Apr 7, 2019
NE Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab Vanquish 440
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a coil ear break not long after I got my EQ 600 over 2 years ago. Minelab sent a replacement. I believe that I had the coil bolt way too tight. So now, I make sure that the coil will move up and down a bit and not snugged up too tight. I also purchased a coil stiffener and I have not had any problems and I use mine in woods and in fields with lots of stubble that you can't avoid hitting at times. If your only concern are the coil ears, do not let that determine whether or not to purchase either the 600 or the 800. The Equinox is a relic, coin, artifact finding machine that will amaze you.

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
If you don’t use it as a cane and don’t tighten it down so hard it is crushing the ears your fine.
i have added the ear support which actually doesn’t stop the breaking.
But I made my own spacers and place them behind the teardrop washers in the shaft and that moves the washers outward toward the ears so they don’t bend as much to the breaking point.
Doug

Minelab Matt

Oct 19, 2014
S.Wales UK
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra Pro
Deteknix Pi Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Had my equinox 2 uears no coil issues

Bayoutalker

Sep 30, 2012
Highlands, TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don’t use it as a cane and don’t tighten it down so hard it is crushing the ears your fine.
i have added the ear support which actually doesn’t stop the breaking.
But I made my own spacers and place them behind the teardrop washers in the shaft and that moves the washers outward toward the ears so they don’t bend as much to the breaking point.
Doug
That's exactly what I did.

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you avoid leaning on the detector or over tighten the ears should not so easily break. I did buy a strengthening piece just for insurance. I fixed the broken ear on my Omega coil using plastic right angle cut off something in the house and built it up with JB weld. Good as new

Donut

Jan 25, 2010
Coloma, Michigan
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70 6" 7.5khz concentric 9" 7.5Khz concentric, 5x10 18.75Khz DD, 10.5 18.75Khz DD.
Yes and no. Some tighten the coil so tight it doesn’t move at all Snap “
if you add the spacers like I did you don’t have to tighten it so much to the breaking point.
Doug

Last edited:

Norwichnut

Jun 5, 2019
S.E connecticut
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/max, Explorer, CTX, Tesoro Tejon, and many other..BUT MY GO TO MACHINE= Equinox 600 stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The Equinox is a relic, coin, artifact finding machine that will amaze you.

THIS!
I have been amazed by my 600 more times than any machine ive ever had... and i have owned MANY !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread