Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT-8000, Equinox 800 2x, T-Rex scoop, AT Pro and Excalibur 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 4 of those ML adapters ordered already to modify with the CTX headphones. I am going to rethread the pg7 strain relief to the metric 12mm threads as a temporary work around till I can get the OFFICIAL MINELAB proprietary connectors. I will be water hunting very soon here in FL as our water temps are already pushing the low 70,s Adapter is not fully assembled as I do not have my EQ yet 20180218_092506.jpg

Last edited:

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Let us know how the wireless capabilities are underwater. The manual says the wireless will not work under water. Idk how truthful that is, but I’m curious if a set of aptX BT headphones with a ipx8 waterproof rating would be ideal!
Usually nice and small, wireless, submersible to 3 meters...
it’ll be interesting to see if the wireless audio is jacked up or increased lag due to being under water

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Let us know how the wireless capabilities are underwater. The manual says the wireless will not work under water. Idk how truthful that is, but I’m curious if a set of aptX BT headphones with a ipx8 waterproof rating would be ideal!
Usually nice and small, wireless, submersible to 3 meters...
it’ll be interesting to see if the wireless audio is jacked up or increased lag due to being under water

I read somewhere if the transmitter (control box of the EQ in this case) is continuously submerged greater than 6 inches to a foot, then you will not get a signal (consistent with Deus). BT transmits at about 2.4 GHz which is highly attenuated in water especially at the low powers we are talking about. Also, if you use APT X you will want to test to see if the lag is not a problem (about ~120 ms more lag than APT X LL as discussed above). I have not been able to find any IPX rated APT X LL headphones.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have 4 of those ML adapters ordered already to modify with the CTX headphones. I am going to rethread the pg7 strain relief to the metric 12mm threads as a temporary work around till I can get the OFFICIAL MINELAB proprietary connectors. I will be water hunting very soon here in FL as our water temps are already pushing the low 70,s Adapter is not fully assembled as I do not have my EQ yet View attachment 1552637

Suddenly the area becomes a level playing field as several of us will be using equinoxes on the same beaches... things get more challenging : D

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As soon as Dave and mine arrive, hopefully next week, we are going to work on a mod so our 3030 GG Amphibians H/P will work on it, going to make a mod using the 3030 connector.

OP
OP
JackalopeZL1

JackalopeZL1

Bronze Member
Nov 22, 2014
Tennessee And California
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Deus 2, Soon to be manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy on another forum made a adapter already too. That didn't take long.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
we are an ingenious bunch lol. The heck with a proprietary connector lol or months waiting for it.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Suddenly the area becomes a level playing field as several of us will be using equinoxes on the same beaches... things get more challenging : D
Now instead of the usual people we see on a weekly basis we will see more out here swinging away..:hello:

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I read somewhere if the transmitter (control box of the EQ in this case) is continuously submerged greater than 6 inches to a foot, then you will not get a signal (consistent with Deus). BT transmits at about 2.4 GHz which is highly attenuated in water especially at the low powers we are talking about. Also, if you use APT X you will want to test to see if the lag is not a problem (about ~120 ms more lag than APT X LL as discussed above). I have not been able to find any IPX rated APT X LL headphones.

I guess they are pretty few and far between. I did find these though.
Supposedly aptX & ipx8 rating. Should be good for 1-3 meters underwater with that rating.
I would assume if they are true aptX (did not list as LL aptX though) then the lag shouldn’t be to far off of the Minelab headphones.
However, being a long time Amazon buyer, Not all listings are 100% truthful.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They will lag as they are about 4x more leggy than APTX LL. Even though they are IPX 8 rated that just means they will not get damaged at the rated water pressure but you won't be able to transmit a radio signal more than a few inches under the water so its kind of a moot point other than knowing they will survive a good dunking should you step into a hole or get knocked over by a wave. If the control box is going to be more or less continuously submerged you really need to be hard wired to the detector.

Last edited:

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They will lag as they are about 4x more leggy than APTX LL. Even though they are IPX 8 rated that just means they will not get damaged at the rated water pressure but you won't be able to transmit a radio signal more than a few inches under the water so its kind of a moot point other than knowing they will survive a good dunking should you step into a hole or get knocked over by a wave. If the control box is going to be more or less continuously submerged you really need to be hard wired to the detector.

For someone scuba diving or snorkeling that would be an issue, but for the average detectorist or someone like me that lives in Minnesota and really doesn’t venture past waist deep it shouldn’t be a problem. I just want a pair of nice, small & light BT headphones that don’t make my ears sweat in the summer & won’t be ruined if they drop outta my ears into waist deep water.
Even a common aptx lag of 120-60ms I don’t think is too big of a turn off, at-least for my application. Once a target is hit I’m going to go back over it with a slow swing and the lag effect should be minimal.
But for the sake of argument & knowledge (cause I’ve not owned any wireless capable detector), even if the control box is submerged 6-12”, it would affect the signal that much?

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For someone scuba diving or snorkeling that would be an issue, but for the average detectorist or someone like me that lives in Minnesota and really doesn’t venture past waist deep it shouldn’t be a problem. I just want a pair of nice, small & light BT headphones that don’t make my ears sweat in the summer & won’t be ruined if they drop outta my ears into waist deep water.
Even a common aptx lag of 120-60ms I don’t think is too big of a turn off, at-least for my application. Once a target is hit I’m going to go back over it with a slow swing and the lag effect should be minimal.
But for the sake of argument & knowledge (cause I’ve not owned any wireless capable detector), even if the control box is submerged 6-12”, it would affect the signal that much?

Yeah, having the control box continuously submerged at all is pretty much a show as far as wireless is concerned. I own a Deus which also has a wireless coil and you actually have to string an antenna wire above the waterline if you are using the coil continuously submerged more than 6 inches to a foot. However, if you are doing what you are doing in waist deep water, I think the control box will mainly stay above the water line, I think, and you should be ok for only occasional submersions.

Regarding lag, it really is just a matter of being able to try the various offerings out. As you say, APT X should be ok for most purposes unless you are running the unit at maximum recovery speed (and even then, who knows, it still might be ok). In fact, some folks have even reported satisfactory results with regular SBC codec standard BT. I plan to try out a pair of water resistant sports phones by Anker and they are only APT X. As always, YMMV.

Jeff In North Georgia

Aug 23, 2006
Suwanee, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Fisher F75+
I have 4 of those ML adapters ordered already to modify with the CTX headphones. I am going to rethread the pg7 strain relief to the metric 12mm threads as a temporary work around till I can get the OFFICIAL MINELAB proprietary connectors. I will be water hunting very soon here in FL as our water temps are already pushing the low 70,s Adapter is not fully assembled as I do not have my EQ yet View attachment 1552637

I would think that these connectors will be like the Garrett ATP headphone connectors and will not be sold to the public. Something "special" to Minelab headphones.

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would think that these connectors will be like the Garrett ATP headphone connectors and will not be sold to the public. Something "special" to Minelab headphones.
The AT Pro head phone connectors can be found through a few online vendors. Mouser electrical supply and Newark components. Sadly the Equinox waterproof connector seems for now to be only sold by Minelab.

Last edited:

toddbbq

Apr 13, 2014
Lutz FL
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just like that one. I wish I had access to a bunch of tools like you do. Did you just bore out the inside of the M12 connector?

WIDirtFishing

Apr 29, 2010
Twin Cities, MN
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800

Past:
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Tesoro Silver uMax
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Has anyone heard or seen how much the WM 08 wireless module will be?
I’m ordering on Wednesday a 600 or 800. I really want the wireless audio option but i could wait for it and buy the wireless Module later.
For what I need the 600 running at all 5 frequencies in multi mode is enough. I really don’t need the gold mode or some of the advance settings. But would really like the wireless audio, so if the module won’t be too much more expensive I would rather get the 600.
Any advice would be appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread