OK the Eclipse 4x6 DD or 6x10 DD as a secondary coil for MXT

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Which would be a better back up & secondary coil for an MXT using it in about all types of ground but not salty nor lots of minerals. Mostly searching for silver or gold coins, any jewelery & some relics too. I'm going to be hitting a lot of ground in 3 different areas soon where the last house(s) were gone 90 to 150 years ago, but were probably built in as early as 1800 or possibly even slightly earlier.

The ground here is highly clay but all 3 places are very very close to rivers or creeks so there will be more layers of sand in the clay in those areas.

Which is going to give me better depth as I believe I will need as much as possible in the areas I'm going to be hitting.

Thanks!

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Indy as well the 6x10DD will be a better back up with more depth than the 4x6DD, but if I could only choose one coil it would have to be the D2(10"DD) coil. That coil makes the MXT a whole new detector as I get as good of depth from that coil as the 12" coil and it separates pretty good for being a 10" coil. How long have you had the MXT? if not long make sure and run the gain at +2 or more if its not too noisy (mine gets a little too noisy after +2) this will get you alot more depth. HH

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that the 10x6 would be better for you than the 6x4. I have the 10x6 on the mxt and I love it. Now if you want a smaller coil I think the 5.3 would be better than the 6x4.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
inspectorgadget

inspectorgadget

Jul 14, 2012
Indianapolis
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT with 10"DD coil, Sun Ray probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How long have you had the MXT? if not long make sure and run the gain at +2 or more if its not too noisy (mine gets a little too noisy after +2) this will get you alot more depth. HH

Thanks for all the input guys!

I've had it a whole week & a half now, Holy cow +2 on gain? I get so much noise at the preset mark it's nuts I must need ground with less trash in it to turn it up that high or do I just need to learn this machine better?

I've got a 12"x12"x12" hole dug in my back yard right now that I'm still getting a solid tone in the center of the hole, machine thinks it's money but of course it's usually wrong, lol. But I can't believe I can't find what ever this is, 12" down here it's rock hard so I poured a bucket of water in it this evening, I need a pin pointer pretty bad I guess! Found a Piece of metal dashboard from an early 60's Cadillac 25-30ft away from this spot & a 79 Hotwheel about 10FT away neither of those were over 6" deep.

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to learn the detector better even with the MXT it took me till the end of the second year to be able to hit those deep dimes 10"+ with the D2 coil, some places you need that coil. This is my fourth year with the MXT and detecting, sometimes when your in a high EMI area you may have to turn down the gain but I like to stay above preset for depth but I usually run at +2 gain as any higher it can get too noisy to hear those deep targets. HH

Last edited:

norbyx

Jun 3, 2012
San Jose
Detector(s) used
Actual: Whites MXT All Pro, M6 and Tesoro Sand Shark

Ex: BH Platinum, Tesoro Lobo, ST & Tejon, Teknetics Delta, Whites MXT, V3i, Dual Field, MX5; DP Wader, Garrett At-PRO, Fisher Gold Bug 2, CZ-70Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
In concern of the hole you are digging it is a big thing that is down there. If at 12 inches you still hear a clear sound than what ever it is it has to be big. A soda can can be picked up at more than 12 inches so keep digging to find out what it is but don't expect a coin.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
My main coil for most conditions is the 6X10. I also use the Super 12. I use the 4X6 for really rough spots like overgrown old foundations. You can jam it in tight spots almost anywhere. For a secondary coil I would go with the 6X10.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions