Does anyone know where to find infomation on old dinnerware,I found these pieces and wonder if they can be dated?
they where found in a area that has not been lived on in at least 100 years. in the woods
I tend to find a good bit of the blue china pieces around old house sites. The blue cobalt color dates back to before the 17th century. It's everywhere. I am sure there is a way to date it if you could match the pattern to a larger piece that hopefully had some of the marks put on by the manufacturer. With a piece this small, it is going to be quite a task to find a matching piece with information on it.
Nice things to pick up and keep. They make neat trivets or small table tops when you group them and grout them together.
Yeah BioProfessor is right.. unless you get lucky and find a piece with the makers mark your in for quite a bit of research.. I have found numerous "shards" and have yet to find one with the makers mark on em.. go figure... yes Bioprofessor is yet another person like myself I give em to my sister who LOVEs to put together mosaics with em.. she uses bits of old glass and the porcelain with amazing results..
Have fun