Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a ride out into the desert to try and find an old dwelling site. Found a spot with a creek still flowing (not common this time of year). There were indications of human activity in what looked like stone walls from a distance. Upon closer inspection it appears these rocks were cleared off the land for cultivation. I immediately started getting small iron signals and dug a few square nails to confirm.
IMG_5999-1.jpeg
IMG_5996.jpeg

There was also signs of earlier inhabitants to the area in the form of colorful debitage and manos laying about. The quartz mano would have been a keeper had it been whole. I even found a couple of broken points. I have found some beautiful points in this area years ago.
IMG_5995.jpeg
IMG_6005.jpeg
IMG_5997-1.jpeg

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the homesite on this trip and only found a few old things.
IMG_6006-1.jpeg

If anybody has a clue what the item is at the top left, I'd sure like to hear it. I'll also post it on 'What is it".
IMG_6007-1.jpeg
IMG_5993-1.jpeg
IMG_6001-1.jpeg

Probably have to wait until next year to investigate further as I have to start preparing to head south.

Upvote 14

robertk

Bronze Member
May 16, 2023
Missouri
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
White's Spectra v3i
Garrett Ultra GTA 1000
Whites Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upon closer inspection it appears these rocks were cleared off the land for cultivation
I wonder what they cultivated? It doesn't look very hospitable to crops?

Cool recoveries! It looks like the climate and soil are kind to the relics -- those look great compared to some of the stuff I dig up.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder what they cultivated? It doesn't look very hospitable to crops?

Cool recoveries! It looks like the climate and soil are kind to the relics -- those look great compared to some of the stuff I dig up.
From what I've read, most settlers grew potatoes around here.

Kona Koma

Bronze Member
Nov 13, 2017
On the Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Took a ride out into the desert to try and find an old dwelling site. Found a spot with a creek still flowing (not common this time of year). There were indications of human activity in what looked like stone walls from a distance. Upon closer inspection it appears these rocks were cleared off the land for cultivation. I immediately started getting small iron signals and dug a few square nails to confirm.
View attachment 2111025 View attachment 2111026

There was also signs of earlier inhabitants to the area in the form of colorful debitage and manos laying about. The quartz mano would have been a keeper had it been whole. I even found a couple of broken points. I have found some beautiful points in this area years ago.
View attachment 2111027 View attachment 2111028 View attachment 2111033

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the homesite on this trip and only found a few old things.
View attachment 2111029

If anybody has a clue what the item is at the top left, I'd sure like to hear it. I'll also post it on 'What is it".
View attachment 2111030 View attachment 2111031 View attachment 2111032

Probably have to wait until next year to investigate further as I have to start preparing to head south.
Nice finds. Worth a return trip.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread