What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Old Fuse?

Dougie Webb

Sr. Member
Joined
Jun 14, 2019
Messages
424
Reaction score
805
Golden Thread
0
Location
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This sort of looks like an old fuse - or at least that's the best I can guess. The ends seem to be copper, but the center is what's weird. Solid, heavy metal. Based on how strongly it attracts a magnet, I'd say it's gotta be iron. Never seen a fuse with iron in the middle. Any guesses? Found this near the site of some old homes near me dating back to mid 1800's.

Thanks as always!

IMG_4693.webp



IMG_4696.webp
 
It doesn't look like it could ever burn and open up as heavy as the center section looks .

There is some 3 phase power circuits where one of the leggs is grounded . Maybe that is what it is for.

The ones that I have seen grounded used copper pipe.
 
Upvote 2
It doesn't look like it could ever burn and open up as heavy as the center section looks .

There is some 3 phase power circuits where one of the leggs is grounded . Maybe that is what it is for.

The ones that I have seen grounded used copper pipe.
Thanks for the input!
 
Upvote 1
This sort of looks like an old fuse - or at least that's the best I can guess. The ends seem to be copper, but the center is what's weird. Solid, heavy metal. Based on how strongly it attracts a magnet, I'd say it's gotta be iron. Never seen a fuse with iron in the middle. Any guesses? Found this near the site of some old homes near me dating back to mid 1800's.

Thanks as always!

View attachment 2008809


View attachment 2008810
That looks like a pretty good guess
 
Upvote 2

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom