Old gold and old naval (Civil War?) button makes for a pretty good hunt!

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was down at the oceanfront today as were several other local hunters. Beautiful day and though the water was a bit brisk, it wasn't cold enough to keep me outta the wash and lows. Unfortunately, there wasn't much IN the wash and lows where I was so the outbound leg was mostly about the clad. I shifted position on the beach a bit and hunted a bit of a wider area that started paying off. First it was just some of the bling and junk coming out but then the button landed in the scoop. It's a nice 2 piece, the loop is still intact and you can just make out the word "SUPERIOR" on the back, the rest is obscured in green crust. I've got it soaking in some oil so I can tackle the green crap later but I THINK it could be from a UK, company called W. Dowler and Sons. They made several different types of buttons for the Confederacy that were shipped or brought in on blockade runners but I'll let the experts weigh in on it. I haven't found any pictures or info to match it yet so if anyone knows please share!

The ring was a bit of a surprise, it rang up kinda weird on the CTX at first (12.23) and was pretty deep. I though I was digging a crappy penny but it was a ring! It was pretty crudded up to start and looks OLD as well. I thought it might be silver that was plated but after getting it home, doing some cleaning (which also broke it into 3 pieces now dammit...) then testing it...its gold, 3.2 grams Holds great at 10K, 14K lifts it right off the testing stone as does the silver solution. (I tested each piece at the break to be sure) Not sure what kind of stone is in the ring, it's pretty opaque and isn't as scratched up as plastic and glass usually are. I dunno...Topaz? Garnet? or just glass maybe....Not marked, that I can see, or it wore off. Gold ring #20 for this year!

Rest were just little bits of copper and whatnot, some trash and $4.20 in clad.

Looks like Thomas had a good day too with his rings and Denny had an AWESOME day with that giant "dive weight" of a chain he scooped up!

Good luck all, hope the good stuff finds it's way under your coil!

DSC_3439.JPG DSC_3441.JPG DSC_3443.JPG DSC_3444.JPG DSC_3445.JPG DSC_3446.JPG DSC_3452.JPG DSC_3450.JPG DSC_3462.JPG Gold Ring #20.JPG

Upvote 8

ajaj

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2012
Orange, Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Minelab eTrac
Minelab Excalibur 8"
Makro Racer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt! Love the button.

aj

Stanislav M

Oct 30, 2015
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 70. Vibra Tector 730
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. Finds :thumbsup:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
THATS SOME NEEET FINDS .

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on a great beach hunt. My first though on the rig was maybe it was plated copper by the way it rung up. Could the stone be Ruby?

OP
OP
DocBeav

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had a couple rings now that have been really old and pretty crusted in that green oxidation you see on copper. Guess it's the copper in the 10K gold that makes it react that way, also maybe why it rings up higher on the scale.

Hadn't thought ruby, I guess it could be but it's kind of a more brownish color. I have a contact at a jewelers shop I take stuff to to get a quick visual appraisal from time to time. I'll bring it to her next time I'm in there and see what she thinks.

Congrats on a great beach hunt. My first though on the rig was maybe it was plated copper by the way it rung up. Could the stone be Ruby?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread