OLD HAT FROM AN AUCTION

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
I bought a box lot at an auction a few months ago that had an old hat in it that I thought resembled a conductor's hat or something like that. I was looking closely at it today and realized the initials are made of silver pieces and design on the front was made of Gold pieces. Here are a few pics of it, hopefully someone here can help identify it and tell me more about it.

Picture026.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What are the letters on the front of the hat? Breezie

Upvote 0

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the early 1900's it was fashionable to dress small boys in "military" costume. Actually it has been fashionable from the 1700's I guess. You don't see it much anymore.
I'm guessing that the hat is part of a small boy's costume from about 1900-1920.

Scott

Upvote 0

vayank54

Silver Member
Oct 11, 2009
Northern VA
Detector(s) used
Whites Blue Gray & Tesoro Cibola
It could be from a School and the letters might stand for something like Davis School Cadets.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm thinking the DSC might stand for Distinguished Service Cross, which as you probably know is the 2nd highest military decoration medal. I think the DSC started during WWI. Maybe you could GOOGLE DSC hats from WWI up through WWII to see if you can find a match. Breezie

Upvote 0

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PAmike said:

Hard to tell from the blurry pics but the initials probably match the name. As someone mentioned, it is a childs uniform hat popular in the late 1800's & early 1900's.

DCMatt

RealPhoto_boyinuniform_5dollars.jpg

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
DCMatt

Hard to tell from the blurry pics but the initials probably match the name. As someone mentioned, it is a childs uniform hat popular in the late 1800's & early 1900's.

Good point Matt, the initials could be D L C instead of D S C. Breezie

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
Just jumping on the "Band" wagon to get notices on this one.

Like the guy on "Laugh In" used to say ... "Very Interesting!"

And for you youngsters not familiar with "Laugh In," that's what Google is for.

SBB

Upvote 0

Peerless67

Jul 26, 2007
ENGLAND & CALIFORNIA
Detector(s) used
Eyes, ears and common sense
I think it could be a "Commemorative" for DSC Logistics who opened in Pa in the 60s.
It is possible it is a copy of the hats worn by the drivers (part of their uniform) ?

Or part of a uniform made by the DSC (defence supply center in Pa)

The Defense Supply Center Philadelphia is the Troop Support center of the Defense Logistics Agency. We provide United States armed services members with food, clothing, textiles, medicines, medical equipment, and construction supplies and equipment. We also support United States humanitarian and disaster relief efforts.

:coffee2:
Gary

Attachments

• 00043_THE_UPS_GUY.jpg
    00043_THE_UPS_GUY.jpg
    23.6 KB · Views: 19,556
Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

PAmike

Feb 20, 2005
Reynoldsville, PA
there is a number inside near the name. I am not sure if it is a date but it isn't the size. the size of the hat is markes as 6 7/8 nad the other numbers are 6-7, 83.

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
The first thing that popped into my head was "School Cadet," which led me to ...

The hats on the cadets below are quite similar. Even the emblems (especially when zoomed,) look similar. The photo is from the late 1800s. I'm not entirely sure about the initials, and suspect that's going to be the toughest part to identify. Actually, I'm not even sure about the hat design itself just yet, but I would say this is a "possible." I'm finding a lot of Cadet Badges, Emblems, and Patches as well. Perhaps the right one will turn up. Presently I'm focusing on School/Town names that start with the letter "D." PAmike said ... "It is definitely DSC." Maybe the SC stands for "School Cadet." :dontknow:

SODABOB

Attachments

• School Cadets with Hats.jpg
    School Cadets with Hats.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 19,383
  • Original Image.jpg
    Original Image.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 19,315
Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
The following is for those not familiar with "Custom Zoom."

At the extreme lower right corner of your screen you will see the standard 100%. Directly next to it is a down arrow. Click this. Then click "Custom" at bottom and a box will pop up for your preferences. (Or if you prefer, just go directly to 200% or 400%) Otherwise click/scroll or type in to select preferred size. It's easy and fun. But don't forget to return it back to 100% when you're done. You'll know what I mean the first time you forget and leave it at 400%. This feature is also helpful when a coin is shown with an item for scale. Just keep adjusting the custom zoom until it matches up with whatever size coin is being used. In the case of a quarter, just hold an actual quarter up against your desktop screen until it matches in size. It's fun and easy. Try it. I think you will like it.

Bob

Upvote 0

SODABOTTLEBOB

Silver Member
Sep 20, 2009
Southern California
This is the first descent closeup I could find of a Cadet Hat.

This Particular one is from the Spanish American War era of 1898.

I'm still searching - and still guessing!

But the embroidery looks "almost identical."

SBB

:dontknow:

Attachments

• 1898 Cadet Hat.jpg
    1898 Cadet Hat.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 19,362
  • Cadet Hat Closeup.jpg
    Cadet Hat Closeup.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 18,926
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions