What's new

old medallion, found at civil war era ferry crossing

findstuf

Jr. Member
Joined
Mar 23, 2009
Messages
90
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-7
I found this at a civil war era ferry crossing. I looked through a few books, but never found one that looks similar. Most had a single horizontal gun. The medallion was riveted to something. The knife pry mark left a slight bend in the medallion.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1375.webp
    IMG_1375.webp
    33.8 KB · Views: 433
  • IMG_1380.webp
    IMG_1380.webp
    14.1 KB · Views: 371
  • IMG_1384.webp
    IMG_1384.webp
    8.7 KB · Views: 368
It's a U. S. Army Infantry enlisted man's collar disk from World War I.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks,

That makes sense. Someone local mentioned that the site was used as a camp back then. In the same field we found a few civil war buttons, and misc. items. This medallion was the oddball item. Does the pry mark jive with a collar disk? Were there any other items that used this disk.
 
Upvote 0
The back of the disk would have had a screw post in the center, and a washer-like attachment which threaded onto it.

RAREINSIGNIAWW655.webp
 
Upvote 0
Okay, I think I see where the knife mark came from. Maybe it was bent, the guy tried to bend it back and it popped off the screw mount.

thanks again
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom