Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have no clue, but it wouldn't hurt to ask the UNO officials.

nfunk

Dec 23, 2005
LaPlace Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, ACE 250
I have detected there on two occasions. Didn't find much except tons of spent ammunition cases left over from "D-Day" reenactments over the years.

Cass

Feb 16, 2005
I hunted Lincoln Beach back in the early 70s' with a BFO, and remember it being a very frustrating waste of time. I hunted the beach and in the water and don't remember finding anything worth while. I remember strips of small gravel as as I waded out and kept thinking them a good place for goodies to be gathered, but they were not there.Of course that was a long time ago , with an old BFO, but I found some great coins in other places with that machine. The potential for the goods to be there is not to be denied though, because of the long use of those beaches. HH, Cass

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cass, I went to Lincoln beach recently with a friend and we had a fun day to say the least. Between us around 15 bucks in clad, and a bunch of misc. stuff. We didn't find anything worth reporting really though and the place is so junked up now it's difficult to swing without 20 pull tabs attacking you.

Ponchartrain beach is a different story though, one end is completely barren as far as finds have gone, while another section has given up a pile of clad, a buffalo nickel, a silver rosie, a watch, and a 10k ring (plate sadly) I plan to give it a rest until fall, and hit it again when there aren't crowds of people hanging out. It's trashy, but here in New Orleans, you have to expect that in public areas.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
You are right Ken, it does not resemble the clean beach my family visited and camped on back in the 50's. Boy to have had a detector back then. :thumbsup:

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GreyCloud, I can only imagine what it was like before. I have a feeling though that if a guy were to go out there with a good underwater machine, and chase the erosion of the beach that there'd be some really good stuff to find.

GrayCloud

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Explorer II & Garrett 2500 w/Treasure Hound
I would think so Ken. Good luck and stay safe, there are alligators in that lake. :thumbsup:

New Orleans Relic

Jul 17, 2012
New Orleans burb
Detector(s) used
At-Pro, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GreyCloud, I can only imagine what it was like before. I have a feeling though that if a guy were to go out there with a good underwater machine, and chase the erosion of the beach that there'd be some really good stuff to find.
AT-RAY here!
Brought the Garrett to city park the first week out of the box last September. Said to hell with this within an hour. Ground was too hard. Moved to the old Pontch beach area in front of the lighthouse and reclaimed out about 10 dollars in clad in the dry sand on my first trip. Ventured briefly in the surf, when the salt water chatter from my machine ran me back in the sand. Said I would learn surf hunting another time. Because of more drownings at the beach earlier this year, UNO has closed off the entire beach area. Which in April they said they would do. I continued to the end of Haynes where the paved road ends and gravel begins for about a mile, which ends at the wildlife sanctuary. Parked there to look over the levy. Found sand/gravel areas along the lake there, where owners drove up to their runs(or wharfs) about 50 yards out to their camps. Still plenty of pilings standing(leaning). Was wandering if the water level drops. There's probably only 1-3 foot now. With the 8ft of muck below, snow shoes couldn't help!
Its time to get my thing wet! I'll be back when temps drop. To swing in those foyers, looking for sandbars.
Felt abit uneasy there though by myself. Wish I could park my car on top the levy(in view). I'll have more than lesche on me next time. Many gators lurking.
Ray

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2011
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've thought about hitting the camps, just never did because I figured it'd be full of trash. I'm planning to go back up to Oak Park, which was part of Ponch Beach at one time. We didn't find much there last time, but I'm looking at a different spot that might be good.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread