Old school yeilds handfuls of clad and mystery gold button

Auby

Jul 15, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.jpgHi all! Tore apart a local school here today in lovely San Diego in hopes of finding an end to my silver drought. It seems hard to metal detect here even though I do my researching i still get excited if I find wheat pennies :) today was no exception... Out of so much clad I felt due for a silver coin but ended up with two wheaties 1954 and 1957. I was however surprised to find this heavy button that looks gold. Can anyone id it or tell me if they think it's military etc... Super fun hunt! Anyone hunting in San Diego? Hit me up! image.jpgimage.jpg

Upvote 4
It will be gold plated, not solid, although at least it still looks fully gilt. Need a better photo & of its reverse? Whats the backmark say?
At the moment the coat-of-arms looks like a copy the blazer company's used, so I'm going with 20th C blazer button.

Nice hunt, even if that turns out to be a modern button you still found 2 Wheat Cents! :icon_thumright: Like CRUSADER said the button back will give a better clue.

Nice hunt, even if that turns out to be a modern button you still found 2 Wheat Cents! :icon_thumright: Like CRUSADER said the button back will give a better clue.

Tried cleaning it with a toothbrush and water this is the best I could do so far. Any tips on how to get rid of the dirt safely? The back looks pretty toasted... feels solid and heavy for its size I must say. School was founded in 1920 I believeIMG_9594.JPGIMG_9595.JPGIMG_9598.PNG

Tried cleaning it with a toothbrush and water this is the best I could do so far. Any tips on how to get rid of the dirt safely? The back looks pretty toasted... feels solid and heavy for its size I must say. School was founded in 1920 I believeView attachment 1380542View attachment 1380543View attachment 1380544

The fact that the back is that bad points towards blazer button. To clean the front lemon juice will help, 5 minutes at a time & rinse well.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back